Speculation that Mike Smith was forcibly removed from Mine That Bird

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the PressDemocrat:

Calvin Borel rode Mine That Bird to victory in this year's Kentucky Derby, but switched to Jess Jackson's filly Rachel Alexandra to win the Preakness.

Now, with the delay in the Jackson corner in deciding if his filly will attempt the 1 1/2 mile Belmont Stakes, Borel is in the lurch because he likely would be able to return to the Kentucky Derby winner.

But the biggest question is, why isn't Mike Smith sticking with Mine That Bird?

According to various reports, Smith announced his intention to honor a commitment he said he had made earlier to the owners of Madeo, Jerry and Ann Moss, to ride in the Charles Whittingham Stakes at Hollywood Park, also on June 6.

Smith is giving up a solid chance of winning the Belmont, a race he has never won, but says his decision was an easy one. He is the regular rider for the Mosses' stable, whose trainer is John Shirreffs. Among his regular mounts for Moss is the champion older filly Zenyatta.

"My loyalty is to the Mosses," Smith said. "I ride everything for them, and they have been so great to me. If it were just another race, I might ask them to let me ride Mine That Bird, but it's not just another race. It's a Grade I, and winning it means a lot to them."

But wait just a minute please. The Charles Whittingham Handicap offers a $300,000 purse, compared to the Belmont Stakes $1 million bounty.

While Smith's decision to stick with his commitment is honorable, I still wonder if he were perhaps not offered the ride in the Belmont. Of course this is just conjecture, but passing on a potential $60,000 payday for a $18,000 pot doesn't make a whole lot of sense, or cents in this case.

Whether it was Smith's fault in not being able to avoid a troubled stretch run during the Preakness aboard Mine That Bird is anyones guess. But it probably cost the gelding a Preakness victory and a shot at becoming the 12th Triple Crown winner.

Of course, now that Mr. Smith is a big star in the reality show "Jockey's", perhaps he doesn't need the money. In fact, when the show resumes - if it does - one show might pertain solely to just the predicament.

Stay tuned.

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    Jockey Can't Count You Must Know That By Now ...the Horse In Front Just Went 49 And 3 Is That Fast Should I Move My Horse .....no I'll Wait Till Mid Streach... Smith Is Loaded....he Don't Need Money ..he Need A Tv Show And A Warm Jockey Next(under) To Him At Night ...
  • edited May 2009
    Dunco.........your A Sick Old Man............smith Needs More Closets.........
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    When Your 4 Foot 5 You Can Spliit The Closet In Half (top And Bottom) And Have Two Shelf And Stil Have Room For Your Boots