Friesan Fire out of action for a few months

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

Vinery Stables’ and Fox Hill Farm’s Friesan Fire, who was made the favorite for this year’s Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) after three consecutive graded stakes wins this spring, has been sidelined for a couple of months due to an injury.

“When Friesan Fire grabbed a quarter in the Kentucky Derby, we felt like he had an excuse for that race,” said Tom Ludt, Vinery's general manager. “Going into the Preakness (Stakes, gr. I), he seemed like his old self and was training beautifully. When he turned in an uncharacteristic race that day, we became concerned.”

Ludt added that the colt was examined by Dr. Larry Bramlage of Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital and was found to have a stress fracture in his left front leg. In addition, there is a secondary non-displaced chip fracture in his right front fetlock. He will undergo surgery to repair the chip May 29.

Friesan Fire, winner of the LeComte (gr. III) and Risen Star (gr. III) at Fair Grounds, turned in one of the most impressive performances of the season when he posted a 7 1/4-length win the Louisana Derby (gr. II). The son of A.P. Indy will rehabilitate at Vinery’s Lexington-based training center.

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    will we see larry(i don't use drugs) cry again....any pictures...i wish he just retire.......
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    I believe he is retiring at the end of the year.