Jess Jackson's statement concerning Rachel Alexandra

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

BlackBerry Preakness Stakes (G1) winner Rachel Alexandra will not contest the $1-million Belmont Stakes (G1) and instead will be pointed to a campaign later this summer.

“After careful consideration, we have decided not to run Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont Stakes next weekend,” owners Jess Jackson and Harold T. McCormick announced Friday afternoon in a statement. “We have advised [jockey] Calvin Borel, [Mine That Bird’s trainer] Chip Woolley, and Belmont of our decision. We thank them, the media, and the fans for their many courtesies and patience while we pondered.”

Borel rode the Medaglia d’Oro filly to a 20 1/4-length victory in the Kentucky Oaks (G1) the day before riding Mine That Bird to a stunning upset in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) for trainer Bennie “Chip” Woolley Jr.

Borel then chose to ride the filly in the Preakness and beat Mine That Bird by one length to become the first female Preakness winner since Nellie Morse in 1924. He also committed to ride Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont if Jackson and trainer Steve Asmussen had decided to enter her in the final leg of the Triple Crown on June 6 at Belmont Park.

The decision frees Borel to jump back aboard Mine That Bird and go for a personal sweep of all three Triple Crown races this season.

Jackson's statement said that the filly needed some time to rest before embarking on her campaign through the rest of the season and beyond.

“We know the media and many fans would have liked to see her run in the Belmont Stakes—we feel the same,” Jackson said. “But all of us sincerely interested in the horse must agree that we only want to see her run when it is best for her.

“While she is in great shape, having strong works, and recovering well from her amazing performances, we feel Rachel deserves a well-earned vacation. Since March 14, Rachel has won four graded races with just two weeks rest between her last two victories. We will always put her long-term well being first. And, of course, we want to run her when she is fresh.”

Although the statement did not list any specific targets, it did say that “all major races” will be considered.

“Rachel Alexandra is an incredible Thoroughbred who has proven to be the best three-year-old in racing today,” Jackson said. “We are elated by all the attention her wins in the Oaks and Preakness has garnered the sport.

“The many letters and e-mails we have received from young girls and racing enthusiasts lets us know that many fans are proud of Rachel. When we purchased Rachel, our goal was to restore the sport’s vitality and grow its fan base by extending the racing careers of its stars.”

Earlier in the day, Rachel Alexandra took a lap around the Churchill Downs main track before retiring to trainer Steve Asmussen’s barn for a photo shoot by acclaimed fashion photographer Steven Klein. The images are scheduled to appear in the August issue of Vogue.

Klein is best known for portraits of celebrities Madonna, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Britney Spears, Natalie Portman, and Justin Timberlake. His work has appeared in Vogue and W and in ads for Calvin Klein and Dolce and Gabbana.

"Done photo shoots before, but first one for Vogue," Asmussen’s assistant, Scott Blasi, said.

Jackson and McCormick purchased the filly privately from owner-breeder Dolphus Morrison following her romp in the Kentucky Oaks (G1) and transferred her to trainer Steve Asmussen. She became the first Oaks winner ever to contest the Preakness and lived up to all expectations as the 9-to-5 favorite, holding off late-charging Mine That Bird in the final strides for the historic victory.

Rachel Alexandra was the 53rd filly overall and first since Excellent Meeting in 1999 to run in the Preakness. Kentucky Derby winners Genuine Risk (1980) and Winning Colors (’88) both contested the Preakness, finishing second and third, respectively.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    “While she is in great shape, having strong works, and recovering well from her amazing performances, we feel Rachel deserves a well-earned vacation."

This quote struck as being a flat-out lie. If she was really "in great shape, with strong works", then i think it's rather obvious she would've gone in the Belmont. If Jackson's intent was really to give Rachel "a well-earned vacation" , he wouldn't have been twisting in the wind for two weeks while continuing to put off the decision.