Belmont tele-conference with Wooley, McLaughlin, and Hollendorfer

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from NTRA:

Eric Wing: Welcome to today's NTRA National Media teleconference, and of course, we're gathered here today to discuss the 141st running of the Belmont Stakes, the test of the champion.

And a little bit later on, we'll check in with trainer Kiaran McLaughlin who will send out Charitable Man, a son of 1999 Belmont winner Lemon Drop Kid in the Belmont Stakes. We'll also talk to Jerry Hollendorfer who has Chocolate Candy looking to rebound from his fifth place finish in Louisville a week from Saturday in the Belmont.

But first, we're pleased to welcome in the trainer of the Derby winner, Mine That Bird, and that's Chip Woolley.

Chip, it's Eric Wing. Thanks for being on the call with us. Chip, are you there?

Bennie Woolley: Yes, sir.

Eric Wing: Oh, Chip. There. Good. Thanks for jumping on with us today. And with respect to Mine That Bird, a mile and a half would seem on paper to be right up his alley. But if Rachel Alexandra doesn't go in the race, are you concerned that there may not be much pace to set up his late run?

Bennie Woolley: Well, that's always a concern any time you go up there. But I think with Charitable Man and him in there, there'll be enough pace probably to set it up OK because if the pace is slower, it's going to put my horse closer to the pace because he's going to run his same race regardless.

So I think if they slow down up front, it'll just move us closer to them and give us an opportunity to be close - less (around) and still get in the hunt)you know.

Eric Wing: And Chip, it's been almost like a soap opera ever since the Derby concluded in terms of riding assignments. Calvin Borel is understandably your first choice to ride Mine That Bird in the Belmont. But if Rachel Alexandra can't - doesn't make any announcement on Monday, even after her next work, are you prepared to wait until entry time on Wednesday before resorting to any plan B?

Bennie Woolley: Up to or close to entry time. I mean, we'll need a decision some time at that point. But I'm going to Calvin as much as time as possible to give him an opportunity to ride Mine and also to keep him from losing two mounts. You know I mean, it just wouldn't be fair to him if they all make the decision until the last minute and decide not to go then. He won me at Derby. You know it's not like I don't - I feel like I owe him the opportunity if it's possible.

Tim Wilkin: Hey, Chip. Personally, do you hope the filly does go?

Bennie Woolley: It's irrelevant, really, to me. I mean, as much as anything I'd like to have Calvin so you know I would - I guess if she doesn't go, it betters my opportunity to get Calvin. And so we'll just see what happens.

Tim Wilkin: What would it mean to racing, do you think, though, if those two hooked up again?

Bennie Woolley: Well, I think it would be good for - I believe it'd be good for racing. I you know it sure brought out a lot of people to watch last time. And now that she's beaten my horse and I was (closing) to her, it'd just probably be (a little bit) more. But we'll just have to see what happens.

Tim Wilkin: All right. Great. Thanks.

Operator: We'll go next to Debbie Arrington with the Sacramento Bee.

Debbie Arrington: Hi, Chip and congratulations on that thrilling Derby. That was really something. You guys you know came out of you know practically nowhere as far as the national perspective is concerned. But what has winning the Derby you know done to your life? What have been some of the big changes?

Bennie Woolley: Well, I mean, I don't know if there's big changes, but it's been a lot of fun. And you know of course, the media attention is something we're not quite used to. You're getting more used it by the day. But overall, I mean, I guess the one thing it's done probably is validate a career that you know you spent 25 years getting to this point and a lot of hard work, been - went broke a couple of times.

So it's more of a validation stamp probably than anything. We're really enjoying it now. At first it was kind of hard to enjoy it but now it's kind of loosened up. Personally I'm going to enjoy it and just you know live in the moment and take it all in.

Debbie Arrington: And how is your horse doing?

Bennie Woolley: Horse is doing super. We breezed him last Monday, just a little leg-stretcher, not real hard. And he came back good. He's gotten strong every day. I thought today he looked as good as he's looked since we've been here. So I'm real tickled with where we're at right now.

Debbie Arrington: Do you think he's coming up to this race as well as he did the Derby?

Bennie Woolley: I believe so. He's - like I said, today is - I thought he looked as good as he's looked, period. And I think you know he'll go in this race strong. He's (dead fit) and the mile and a half should really fit him. Maybe a little harder to put up the big closing kick on the little deeper race track when he (looses) as the Belmont's track is. But we'll just see what happens.

Operator: We'll go next to George Pepis with New Orleans Sports.

George Pepis: Thanks. And first of all, congratulations on all the success that your horse is giving you. My question for you, what have you learned through the rigors of this Triple Crown? You know so three races in five weeks. And basically what have you learned for this process?

Bennie Woolley: Well, it's kind of hard to answer that question. You're learning as you go. But, I mean you know it's not that different than running in any other thing where you're pushed to run horses close together. Fortunately for me, my horse only runs about 3/8ths of a mile, so I think it probably didn't take as (much). It's not quite as hard on him as it is on other horses.

But overall, it's just been an enjoyable experience. And you know I guess probably the thing I've learned the most about is dealing with the media. But it's you know it's just horse racing but it's just on a higher level. So you see the good of your horse at all times and try to keep your horse in the best of shape and make sure that you don't miss anything.

George Pepis: And you mentioned that Mine That Bird is going really well. What is the remaining schedule? Heading into the Belmont, when you do plan on shipping from New York? And are they scheduled (marks) in between now and going up to the (ranch)?

Bennie Woolley: (He knows he'll) gallop Friday, Saturday, Sunday, breeze Monday, walk Tuesday. We'll gallop on Wednesday morning right before he ships out, and then he'll ship to Belmont. I think the plane's leaving at noon or so on Wednesday. And I'll leave Tuesday and meet him there Wednesday.

George Pepis: And last question, without Rachel Alexandra, when you peruse the potential (feel) of the Belmont, anybody stick out in your mind that you feel like that's going to give you a tough challenge?

Bennie Woolley: Well, I mean, you've got to race every horse in the race. So it's hard to pick one out. The Belmont, of all the races, he's more ((inaudible)) than anyone. And so you know you've got to have respect for every horse in the field.

Wayne his horse run huge at - in the Preakness off a terrible race in the Derby. You know you've got to respect him. You've got to respect Charitable Man, no doubt. That horse is a real monster, loves that race track.

But like I said, going into the Preakness, you've got to beat everybody in there. So if there's nine in there, you've got to beat eight of them. And there's no way around that.

George Pepis: All right. Chip, (first), again, congratulations and best of luck going forward. Thank you.

Bennie Woolley: Thanks.

Operator: We'll go next to Bob Fortus with Times-Picayune.

Bob Fortus: Chip, I appreciate you doing this. How much reflecting have you done back to, like, some of the days back in New Mexico when things weren't going so well? And you just mentioned you know this is sort of validating a career. You know how much have you been thinking about you know where it's all come from?

Bennie Woolley: Well, to be honest you know you think about it some. But really with all this going on, you haven't had a bunch of time to reflect yet you know. I suppose some of that will hit home when you go back home. But you know right now I'm just enjoying the time that we've had here. The people in Kentucky have been just fantastic, and so were the people in Baltimore.

So right now, more than any one thing, we're just kind of enjoying the moment here and going to ride this out through the Belmont and decide where to go from there. But it's been a rather enjoyable experience. And like I said, the first 5 or 6 days after the Derby wasn't all that much fun. It was kind of hard to get a hold of. But now that it's had time to sink in, settle in, and get used to the whole, the new - the whole new media thing and all, it's become enjoyable and just kind of going to ride it out for a while.

Bob Fortus: How much input are you having on horses that you have back in New Mexico? Or is your brother just totally running that show?

Bennie Woolley: Well, we talk every day. But you know I've got a lot of trust in him. And if he - he'll make the right decisions. You know he's trained before and he's well versed in my program. And so he can make decisions on his own. But we talk every day, and we have discussions every night, nightly and every morning and - on what we're doing with each horse and you know where we're pointing and aimed at.

So I have to keep my fingers in it. I couldn't stand not to.

Bob Fortus: You mentioned Wayne Lukas and Bob Baffert is another trainer that had a great success in thoroughbred racing after starting with quarter horses. Do you see some element of quarter horse racing that really transfers to thoroughbred racing?

Bennie Woolley: I wouldn't say anything specifically. I think the one - one of the small things is individualizing and training each horse as being that horse. Not every horse needs to gallop every day and others need to gallop every day. And you know the different ways of training, I don't think there's any one particular thing except maybe just the individuality of training horses, each as his own horse you know. But that'd be about it for me.

Bob Fortus: OK. Well, thanks very much. I really appreciate your - the way you've dealt with us throughout this.

Bennie Woolley: You're welcome.

Operator: We'll go next to Bob Velin with U.S.A Today.

Bob Velin: Hi, Chip. Congratulations again. Your horse is kind of a national star now. And with him being a gelding, I assume you plan to run him for a long time. Are you at all concerned about the grueling pace of these three races in five weeks, and especially ending up with this mile-and-a-half race at Belmont that you know it could affect his future at all?

Bennie Woolley: Not in particular. Like I said, first of all this horse didn't run very far. His race is the last 3/8ths of a mile. And it just seems to take less out of him. You know you go to the (test) barn and he's bucking and playing in there.

And so he handles it very well. But also you know you'll give him at least 2 months, give or take around 2 months, between the Belmont and his next start. So you know he'll have some time to fill back up and rest and be back on his game for later in the year. We've only got really - at this time, we only have three more races for the entire year scheduled in the horse.

So we don't - we don't - we're not too concerned right now. He's handled it well. That's why you know we told the press after the Derby that we would look at the Preakness but we would let the horse make that decision. And the horse bounced back very quickly and looked good so we made the decision to go.

We did the same thing following the Preakness. I mean, we had all intentions of going to Belmont. But if there would - the horse hadn't been on his very best game, we would probably have passed it up. But he seems to be doing so well that we decided we'll take this step.

Bob Velin: OK. Do you have a gut feeling at all on Rachel Alexandra and whether she'll run?

Bennie Woolley: No, sir. I mean you know that's not for me to decide, I guess. And I really haven't given much thought to it. Other than Calvin - wanting Calvin to ride my horse you know it's really pretty much irrelevant to me whether she runs or not.

Bob Velin: OK. And Calvin, Calvin doesn't have a feeling about it either? Have you talked to him about that at all?

Bennie Woolley: Not really. I mean, the only thing that we've discussed is I told him that you know I wanted to give him the opportunity to ride the horse. And if they needed more time then we would give them more time. Other than that, we really haven't discussed (it).

Bob Velin: OK. Thanks. Appreciate it.

Operator: We'll go next to Mike Penna with Horse Racing Radio.

Mike Penna: Hey, Chip. You've mentioned his 3/8 of a mile closing (kick). Does it become more imperative in a mile-and-a-half race for the rider to push that button at the right time going so far?

Bennie Woolley: Absolutely. Two things, one, not only - not only getting the timing right but be - knowing where you're at in the race and how much you've got to make up because that track is so much deeper that when you - if you push the button too early, you could sure come up empty part of the (wire). So you're going to ((inaudible)) and say, in the Belmont, if you're close enough that you want to make a quarter-mile move, you've already ran as far as you ran in the Derby at that point. So you know it's going to be imperative that we get the right trip and make our move at the right time because the other thing is, you may not be able to get quite the head of steam up on that track to keep (them close) with. I mean, if you look at previous Belmonts you know you look way back on an average a horse that's closer to the pace tends to win. You know it's - people think just because it's longer that it will suit my horse better. But you know history says that you need to be a little closer to the pace. So he's got his work cut out for him.

Operator: We'll go next to Don Jensen with St. Petersburg Times.

Don Jensen: Congratulations on the series so far. You've answered most of the questions. But the one I had was I know your horse was 50 to 1 at the Kentucky Derby. And right after, you (only) heard silence in the press box. But looking at the breeding you know his sire won the Belmont before and also his grandsire won the Kentucky Derby.

So kind of a two-part question. Did you have belief in him based on his breeding coming into the Derby (you did)? And also, have you watched any film of Birdstone winning the Belmont to maybe set up (your) Mine That Bird?

Bennie Woolley: Well, I mean, I've seen - I've seen the films of Birdstone winning the Belmont. But you know it has no bearing on my horse's race. I mean, he's got to go out and run his race. It's just the way we run the Derby and the way he ran so well in the Preakness is by running his race. And we're not going to alter his race to try to fit a race because anything you change in the race is going to change his closing (kick). So we've just got to go out and run our race.

You know we were the best horse in the Derby that day, on that given day. I felt like we were the best horse in the Preakness on that given day. We had a pretty rough (trip to arrive) there. And you know I feel going into this that we're probably the best horse. So hopefully we can get a (trip) to win. And we're going to have to run a race in that way to give our (stage) that opportunity.

Don Jensen: Thanks a lot, Chip.

Bennie Woolley: Ask me the first part again, or did I answer it?

Don Jensen: Pretty much answered it. I was just concerned about the breeding of - his breeding. You know Grandsire ran the Kentucky Derby, and sire winning the Belmont, it looks like he was a little bit overlooked in the Kentucky Derby based.

Bennie Woolley: Well, I mean, I don't blame overlooking him. I managed to get him (beat) twice at Summerland Park, so not exactly you know something that would make him bet on him at the Kentucky Derby. You know so I can see why he went off long odds and it - nobody paid much mind to the fact that we changed his running style, which really made the big difference.

Don Jensen: Right. Well, Chip, good luck next Saturday, and thanks a lot for the series.

Bennie Woolley: Right. Thank you.

continued...

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Operator: And once again, that is star 1 if you do have a question. We'll go next to Alan Carasso with TDN.

Alan Carasso: How you doing, Chip? You mentioned that you've got three races plotted out. And that was after the Belmont or including the Belmont?

Bennie Woolley: It would be after the Belmont. We've got like three more.

Alan Carasso: OK.

Bennie Woolley: And one being the championships. So we'll see. We haven't really decided where those races are or which ones they're going to be other than the Breeder's Cup. But we'll sit down after this race and give them a few days and then make that decision.

Alan Carasso: And I assume after the Belmont, you're going back to New Mexico.

Bennie Woolley: It's hard to say. Depends on where we decide to start the horse. If we start him out in this country, we'll probably bring him back here to Churchill and either stay here or somewhere near here.

Alan Carasso: OK. So you don't have any inclination at this point whether to go for races, like the Travers or the Jockey Gold Cup, Traverers or ((inaudible)) older horses earlier?

Bennie Woolley: No. We'll stay here probably for one race somewhere in this country. But we're just not really sure what we'll - like I said, everything depends on the horse. You know this is going to make three grueling races. And we'll back off and look at him. If he's healthy, things look good, we'll probably pick a spot out in this area. But we just haven't really nailed down.

I mean you know we're looking at all options you know every major race around. So I mean, we could be anywhere, but we're going to make that decision (after).

Alan Carasso: OK. Well, thank you very much.

Bennie Woolley: Yes, sir.

Operator: We'll go next to Jay Privman with Daily Racing Forum.

Jay Privman: Chip, I was just wondering in regards to the different (ride) that Calvin gave him in the Derby and the Mike gave him in the Preakness, did you change this horse's equipment, like bit or anything like that, coming from someone to the Derby?

Bennie Woolley: No, sir. He ran in the exact same equipment all the way. He is just in a (D bit) and a (tongue tie) and that's all he really needs. You know the horse is just so easy to ride. You know he's pretty much compliant to whatever you want out of him. So he really doesn't need any specific equipment. It's really not important.

He - the main thing is just to ride and patience. You know it's what I've been looking for all along.

Jay Privman: Great. That's all I wanted to know. Thank you.

Operator: We'll go next to Brad Telias with CBS News.

Brad Telias: Chip, you alluded to this before, with regard to his running style, obviously it doesn't fit the typical Belmont Stakes running style. Just going to have to lay a lot closer to the pace. And I think it's 27 of the last 30 Belmonts won by horses within 2 lengths of the leader when they hit the top of the stretch.

I guess the first part of it is, can he make that kind of transition to that running style? And B, they don't call Belmont Park Big Sandy for nothing. It's a little bit deeper. Obviously you'll know a lot more on Wednesday when he gets to work out on it. But do you think he's suited to that kind of composition of racetrack?

Bennie Woolley: Oh, absolutely. You know I think he probably gets over with the track better than any horse I've seen anywhere. And I mean any race track. You watched him go at Pimlico. He got over it better than everybody else did. And you watched him go here at Churchill and he does the same thing.

As a matter of fact, people at the barn this morning commenting that they watched him go this morning on how easily he got over the track and was just cruising by horses and it was just an easy gallop. I don't think the depth of the race track will probably bother him as much as it will everybody else.

And he's got such a big stride, he just gets over it easy. And as far as, like I said, changing his running style, we're not going to change it. We're going to go in there and run our same race. And if you change his running style, you're just going to - he's not going to finish. And I'd rather be finishing than stopping. So we're not going to change that up.

Brad Telias: Thanks. Good.

Operator: We'll go next to Van Cushny with Prime Media.

Van Cushny: Yes, hi, Chip. My question is why did you ship back to Churchill after the Preakness instead of shipping up to Belmont Park like Chocolate Candy and Summer Bird did?

Bennie Woolley: Well, the main reason was he really trained well here at Churchill, was comfortable. When I got him to Pimlico he got a little rattled on me. We had (a lot) getting him to settle over there. And as soon as he got back here, he settled right back into his program, which I feel like's important.

The other reason is I was afraid he was going into Belmont with a deeper race track. (You know) we had two breezes coming in between races. And I didn't want to go in there and breeze him over that track and say he didn't run it well and (having) him not quite right by the time he got to the race.

So I knew he would train well here and get over the track well here and we could get a flight out of here easy enough to Belmont so that wasn't going to be a problem. We just made the decision to come back here.

Van Cushny: Very good. Thank you, and good luck.

Operator: We'll go next to Beverly Smith with (Global Mail).

Beverly Smith: Hi, Chip. I'm from Toronto. I'm from (Dave Cody) country. And I'm just wondering if you'd ever think of bring Mine That Bird back to Canada?

Bennie Woolley: Well, it's really not on the agenda right at this point. I'm sure at some point in time he could come back there to run. And I'd love to go run there. I like (Woodbine). But at the time, at this point in time, our - you know we're trying just to map a couple of races between Belmont and the Breeder's Cup. So there's no races for him up there with the purse sizes that you have down here right now. So we'll probably use these as preps and go that direction.

Beverly Smith: Have you talked to (Dave Cody) since he won the Derby?

Bennie Woolley: Oh yes. I've talked to him a couple of times. I had a good visit. And he's a good guy. (I'm very) fortunate to have gotten his horse running.

Beverly Smith: Thanks.

Eric Wing: Chip, when you do sit down some time after the Belmont to plot out those two starts before the Breeder's Cup, will one of your considerations be to avoid any potential conflicts with Rachel Alexandra, just so you don't risk losing Borel again?

Bennie Woolley: Probably not. If we have to hook her you know (hook) up to here, that's - I mean, I don't think that that you know it's in my horse's interest to try to miss her. I feel like most of the top riders out there would love to ride him, and I've had them all calling. So somebody will ride her - or somebody will ride him. And we'll just let the cards fall where they do.

My main intention here is to see - I don't want Calvin sitting on the sidelines when I get to Belmont and run my horse and him not be - have an opportunity to ride the race.

Eric Wing: All right. Well, Chip Woolley, congratulations as well on a great first two legs of the Triple Crown. And may you and your horse have a safe journey to New York for leg three, the Belmont Stakes. Thanks for being on the call.

Bennie Woolley: You bet.

Eric Wing: Chip Woolley, the trainer of Mine That Bird, Kentucky Derby winner and Preakness runner up. And they'll be back for the final leg, the test of the champion, the Belmont Stakes. That'll be on ABC from 5 to 7 pm a week from Saturday, June 6, all the under card coverage on ESPN from noon to 5.

And one of the people who will be on the telecast, I'm sure, up and down the card is Kiaran McLaughlin who's got Charitable Man, the Peter Pan winner, slated to go in the Belmont Stakes.

Kiaran, it's Eric Wing in New York. Thanks for joining us.

Kiaran McLaughlin: Hi, Eric. How are you?

Eric Wing: I'm fine, thanks. And hope you are, too. Say, Charitable Man was very impressive in the mile-and-an-eighth Peter Pan and he's by the 1999 Belmont winner in Lemon Drop Kid. Is there anything you see that gives you the slightest pause about his ability to handle 12 furlongs?

Kiaran McLaughlin: No, not at all. He's bred to do it, like you just said. And he's a big scopy type horse, stands over a lot of ground. He's two for two at Belmont, and he has the right running style, we feel like, to get the mile-and-a-half. And that should not be an issue.

Eric Wing: Now, you mentioned him having the right running style. You won this race your only other attempt with Jazil, who had a running style more like Mine That Bird's. Do you think the Belmont is a race in which tactical speed is important? Or will the best horse win most of the time? Or is a tricky race that yields a (D”Tara or a Sarava now and again? How do you see the race?

Kiaran McLaughlin: I think you have to be forwardly placed most of the time, and tactical speed (is in). But it's also what your - the competition and how the race shapes up for each horse. And Mine That Bird, I agree with his trainer that he's going to continue to run his style. Jazil had that that type of running style. You don't want to change your style going into this race or any race.

And we just have to (actual) speed, and we are well (bit) and we're here training on it and we don't have to ship. And we have a lot of plusses on our side. I have a lot of respect for Mine That Bird's two Triple Crown races. They were great races. But I wouldn't trade places with anybody.

Eric Wing: Yes. In fact, Charitable Man and (Brave Victory) are the only two horses that have won or even run on the Belmont surface among the Belmont Stakes probables at this point.

George Pepis: Talking about the Belmont for you, my first question for you, the potential that we can see Rachel Alexandra in the race with Mine That Bird, what do you make of her as a - of her effort in the Preakness? And do you think we'll see her in the Belmont?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Well, personally, I mean, I thought it was a great race, and she's a star of a filly. She's a superstar. And it was a great day for our industry, the Preakness with her winning and Mine That Bird being second, although for both of them to run back in 35 days and 36 days, it's very difficult on any horses to do that. And I think that Rachel Alexandra had to run a hard race to win that day, a much tougher race than in Kentucky Oaks winning by 20 lengths.

So it would be hard on her, and I think it'll be tough on her to win the Belmont going a mile and a half, although I think Mine that Bird is a tough little horse and will be you know tough to beat on the day.

I don't see them running Rachel Alexandra, necessarily. I would think it would be tough and they might skip. But if they do run, you have to respect her.

George Pepis: No doubt. But talk about your horse now. (I watched this) last time at the Peter Pan Stakes and it was ultra impressive, to say the least. How has Charitable Man bounced back from that race? And what are we looking at work schedules going forward?

Kiaran McLaughlin: He has one more walk on Saturday. He had, last Saturday, worked a half mile. He'll work this Saturday provided we have a decent track. And then that'll be it, and just gallop into the race after that. But he is training great, eating well. He's doing fabulous. I mean, I would say he's doing equally as good going into the Belmont as a Peter Pan, so he's doing very well.

George Pepis: Now, without having any clue as to the weather forecast for next Saturday as we are still a few days out, the first two races having the Kentucky Derby a sloppy track, the Preakness overcast (fast and it looked), can Charitable Man - if the track comes up off, do you think he'll handle a slop?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Yes. They labeled the Futurity as a 2-year-old when he won the Futurity here. They labeled it good, but it was very wet and had a lot of moisture in it. So I don't think the track matters to him at all. I don't think he has to have a fast track (or the slop). He handles anything, except the poly track, but we don't have to worry about that.

George Pepis: Kiaran, thanks for the time, and I'm wishing you the very best of luck going forward next week.

Kiaran McLaughlin: Thank you.

Operator: We'll go next to Van Cushny with Prime Media.

Van Cushny: Yes, Kiaran, as you mentioned, your horse is stabled at Belmont and trains daily over the Belmont surface. Timothy Ice and Jerry Hollendorfer both shipped their horses in early so they could have the benefit of training over the Belmont track. Last year, Rick Dutrow, who stabled at Aqueduct, shipped Big Brown to Belmont so he could train over the Belmont surface.

My question is do you think the Charitable Man has an advantage over Mind That Bird, Flying Private, Mr. Hot Stuff and all the other horses currently training Kentucky because Charitable Man is currently training over the (quirky loose) of Belmont surface? And if so, how significant is that advantage?

Kiaran McLaughlin: I don't think that it is a big advantage, being honest. An advantage is that we're here and we don't have to travel. And travel is stressful on all horses and they lose weight and it's a little bit stressful. Some of them handle it better than others.

But as far as training on this race track, over training, Churchill Downs, I don't think it's a big advantage. I think that it's nice that we're home here in our barn and all of our people are in place and we're here and the horse is here and doesn't have to travel. It would be nice to get on a van or a plane. That is a plus.

But as far as the racetrack goes, I think either they like it and handle it fine or they don't. And Belmont's not one of those tracks that (proves) to be like or dislike. It seems like most horses handle Belmont Park very well.

Van Cushny: OK. Thank you. Good luck.

Kiaran McLaughlin: Thanks.

Operator: We'll go next to Debbie Arrington with the Sacramento Bee.

Debbie Arrington: Hi, Kiaran. Thank you very much for coming on here. Your horse (and this) brilliant as a 2-year-old but then you know missed the Derby, what happened in the winter that delayed this horse's 3-year-old campaign?

Kiaran McLaughlin: After the Futurity in the fall, he cracked his shin and he had a saucer fracture, we call it, on the cannon bone. And we inserted a screw in Lexington, Kentucky, and then the screw was taken out then removed. And we went to Ocala to Ian Brennan there and he did a great job with him. And then he shipped on to Florida.

And we tried to get him ready for the spring classics and the Kentucky Derby and the preps for the Kentucky Derby. But we just didn't have enough time to have him fit enough to run in the proper theory of prep races. So we made the choice to go to the Bluegrass April 11, which was 3 weeks before the Kentucky Derby thinking that if he ran well, he could run back in 3 weeks off of the synthetic tracks easier than the dirt tracks.

But he didn't run great. He finished 7th and (beaten) seven lengths. But he was fit enough to run the mile-and-an-eighth. He was not tired at all. He just didn't seem to handle the poly track that well. So Mr. Warren was kind enough and patient enough to wait for the Peter Pan, which he ran a huge race. And now on to the Belmont and all is well. His shin is fully recovered and healed up. And he's doing great, no issues at all.

Debbie Arrington: Very good. And which shin was it?

Kiaran McLaughlin: The left shin.

Debbie Arrington: The front left. Very good. Best of luck.

Kiaran McLaughlin: Thank you.

Operator: We'll go next to Jennie Rees with Louisville Courier Journal.

Jennie Rees: Hey, Kiaran. Just elaborating on what you just said, could you - you know Mr. Warren) did fleetingly consider the Derby. Could you reflect on the decision not to go in there and what difference that has made now?

And also, perhaps as part of that answer, did the horse get anything out of the Blue Grass? And I mean, would we expect that he might really advance off of the Peter Pan?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Well, going back to the Derby, as most people in our industry are pointing to the Kentucky Derby - I'm born and raised in Lexington, Kentucky so I've always dreamt of winning the Kentucky Derby - it's hard to pass up the Kentucky Derby when you have a horse who qualified with graded earnings.

And Mr. Warren and I were back and forth on most important let's do right by the horse. Charitable Man was the most important here, and the decisions need to be made accordingly. Excuse me.

And so as we talked about it, I just felt like that running back in 3 weeks off the Blue Grass race was not the best thing to do for the horse going forward for the rest of the year. But if he was patient enough and waited until a race like the Peter Pan then maybe we would get rewarded later when we had a fresh horse for the Belmont or the Travers) later.

So it was - he was a great sportsman. He's a great man, Mr. Warren, and it was not a - I didn't have to twist his arm. He wanted to know what the best-case scenario was for the horse, and he was on board right away. And we talked about it and we did it and we've been rewarded, hopefully, going forward.

continued...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Jennie Rees: Did you have any even fleeting second-guessing the decision when a 50-to-1 shot who had been forth in his prior prep and a non-graded stake at that one?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Yes. Never going to pass the Kentucky Derby again, (I'll tell you now), when I had a horse as able with that graded earnings. It's going to take a lot more to make me not run. I want to run from now on because Charitable Man not only - he's a beautiful horse, he's a talented horse and he's three for three on the dirt. But he is a magnificent individual and a beautiful horse. And we all loved him in my stable. And if we ran back in 3 weeks you know he might have won the Kentucky Derby. You don't know that now, but he is a really nice horse. He just didn't handle the poly track that well.

Jennie Rees: And getting back to Mine That Bird and you've been very complementary. We've been thinking back to at the time when you won, before the Preakness, did you think, “What?” Or just what was your reaction to this?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Yes, I mean, he happened to be in the same barn I was in, Barn 42, at Churchill. And I had to be honest you know looking at Charitable Man and looking at Mine That Bird, it's like you know you're looking at a magnificent animal to a small gelding that cost $9500 as a yearling. But he's a runner and he's a very nice horse.

And I was happy to see him run so well in the Preakness because on the Derby day, the only thing I could think of was Calvin Borel did a great ride and he loved it wet. He loved the slop). But after running the Preakness, I have a lot more respect for the horse and the connection because he's a gutsy little horse who tries hard and might could have won the Preakness with a little cleaner trip.

Jennie Rees: And just one final thing, could we get an update on Justwhistledixie?

Kiaran McLaughlin: She's doing great. She worked) in :47 last Saturday. She'll work back this Saturday and she's ready to run in June and ulian Leparoux will ride her back. He won on her in the Bonny Miss and she's doing very well. We're just unfortunate on the day of the Kentucky Oaks that she was lame in the stall that afternoon. And it was a shoe that was bothering her a little bit. We were able to get that off. We thought it was an abscess but it was not. It was just kind of a shoe had moved a little bit and caused her to be lame. But she's fine now, doing great.

Jennie Rees: She's running in the Acorn?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Yes.

Tom Pedulla: Kiaran, I also wanted to ask you about the Derby scenario and just how hard it is for a trainer to exercise the kind of patience that you did. And are you (serious you) maybe this outcome and the way things played this year, (it won't) alter your thinking in the future?

Kiaran McLaughlin: It will definitely alter my thinking in the future. I will want - I will be wanting to run horses. If they have a chance, I don't like to just lead a horse over there. But we chose to not run three horses that could have run in the Kentucky Derby this year for different reasons. Maafaz was handed over to me after the Blue Grass, and Rick Nichols and (inaudible)) decided not to run the Kentucky Derby. He was the horse that won in England winning - win and you're in.

And then we chose early to not go that route with Mr. Fantasy. And I feel like we were doing right by the horse. And then the third horse is Charitable Man.

So in the future, if I end up entering four horses, everyone will know that this year helped make that decision possible going forward. But if I have four eligible, I'm probably going to run four in the Kentucky Derby you know if they have a chance. And we wouldn't be there if they didn't have a chance.

But you don't want to handicap the day and be so tough on yourself or on your horses. If you're in an eligible, you need to put them in the gate because you never know what's going to happen.

Tom Pedulla: You know being that they are part of you then it may be you let a Derby get away from you?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Yes and no. I mean, no, I don't you know - (God) put our odds in the front of our head and I always look forward. I never look back. So I won't look back and say that, although you know you think about it briefly. But being back in 3 weeks would have been hard on our horse, I think. And I feel like we did the right thing and hopefully we will be smiling next Saturday knowing that we did the right thing.

Tim Wilkin: Hey, Kiaran. Earlier you had the - you didn't see them running Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont. But does part of you want to see her run in that race?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Part of me wants to see her run in the race and part of me doesn't because in the industry, like I said, on Preakness day the industry was a huge winner. And the only way the industry wins next Saturday, (if she) wins again, and it's you know going to be hard on her and her connections to win again regardless of how good she is because of the third race in 36 days and a mile and a half.

But if she runs, she'll you know probably be forwardly placed and set an honest pace. And I feel like we can beat her, but I do have a lot of respect for her.

Tim Wilkin: What would it mean to the Belmont Stakes if she were in it? And what - and if she's not in it, what does it mean to the Belmont Stakes?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Well, I think it would mean a lot to the Belmont Stakes and (NYRA) and New York Racing if she was in it. And if she's not in it, it takes away from it a little bit. But Mine That Bird brings a lot to the race. You know winning the Kentucky Derby and being second in the Preakness helps a lot with all the other horses like Charitable Man.

Tim Wilkin: Kiaran, one other thing. Mile and a half takes its toll on any horse. Does it take more out of a filly, do you think?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Yes, it probably does take more out of a filly. But you know I don't think the mile and a half takes as much out of them as the mile and a quarter the first Saturday in May because the fractions are slower, the time is slower, and it's a longer time to race. They're not going (:22, :45, 1:09). You know the three-quarter time would be 13.

So if your horse can handle the mile and a half part of it, it's not so hard on the horse as (has to run a shorter race).

Eric Wing: Kiaran, since you brought them up, could you give us an update on Mr. Fantasy - who I know was scratched on race day on Memorial Day before the mile - and also on (Maafaz?

Kiaran McLaughlin: Maafaz came back. He went to Shadwell Farm. He was gelded and just had a look-over by the vets and he's at Saratoga with us doing very well. We haven't picked out his first race going forward but it'll probably be on the turf. And he's doing very well.

Mr. Fantasy scratched out in that mile with a temperature on Friday, Saturday - Friday or Saturday. Well, 2 days before, so Saturday he had a slight temperature. He's doing fine now. We hope to make the Woody Stevens, but it's you know 50/50 if we make it.

Eric Wing: All right. Well hopefully it's much more than 50/50 that Charitable Man makes the Belmont Stakes more like 100 to 0. And if that does happen, Kiaran, we wish you, of course, the best of luck as you attempt to extend your Belmont Stakes unbeaten streak to two for two. And we thank you for your participation on the call today.

Kiaran McLaughlin: Thank you very much. And have a good day.

Eric Wing: You, too. That's Kiaran McLaughlin, trainer of Charitable Man. He knows how to send out a Belmont Stakes winner, did it in 2006 with the late-running Jazil, and he hopes to do so again in 2009 with the early-running Charitable Man, who set second off a scorching pace in the Peter Pan and then spurted away to victory over Imperial Council and Brave Victory. Brave Victory due to be back in the Belmont Stakes. And Charitable Man will certainly be forward and prominent early and one of the many horses that Mine That Bird will have to concern himself with running down in the late stages of the race.

That will take us - by the way, want to fill everybody in on Belmont Stakes doings. There's a press event surrounding the Belmont Stakes at noon this coming Tuesday at Madison Square Garden, noon to 2. I believe Calvin Borel will be at that event. That would be Tuesday, June 2.

And the post position draw, of course, for the Belmont Stakes, Wednesday at 11 am up in the Garden Terrace. Breakfast starts at 9:30 with the draw to commence at 11 am.

And now we'd like to go to our final guest on today's program. He is the trainer of the fifth place finisher in the Kentucky Derby, Chocolate Candy. Happy to welcome in Jerry Hollendorfer.

Jerry, it's Eric Wing in New York. Thanks for being with us on the teleconference today.

Jerry Hollendorfer: Thank you, too.

Eric Wing: Jerry, Chocolate Candy turned in his last three works at Belmont Stakes. You came to New York almost immediately after the Derby. His only dirt race was in the Derby at Churchill. How did he seem to be handling the Belmont strip in your opinion?

Jerry Hollendorfer: He seems to be getting over the strip very well. And we've been pleased with his workouts so far.

Eric Wing: And it's been something of a musical jockey's deal here with the Triple Crown horses between Calvin Borel and Mike Smith who rode Chocolate Candy in the Derby and Garrett Gomez who rode Dunkirk in the Derby and is now riding your horse in the Belmont Stakes. What is Gomez bringing to the equation, in your opinion, on Chocolate Candy?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Well, Garrett's ridden Chocolate Candy before and he's won on him at Hollywood last year. And he's arguably one of the best riders in the country so you know we're happy to have Garrett riding our horse.

George Pepis: Hey, Jerry. First of all, I want to wish you the best of luck going forward into the Belmont. But with the race you ran in Kentucky, he ran on ((inaudible))). How much improvement has Chocolate Candy shown from that point to where we're at now?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Well you know that's - you know you can only guess on that. But he's been training very well at Belmont. He did get squeezed a little at the start in the Derby so he was a little more off the pace than we wanted him to be, so - I won't make that an excuse. That's just something that happened in the race and he finished up well.

So we think we're going to end up in a pretty good position, at least going over the race track and we think we have the ability to get the mile and a half.

George Pepis: He seemed like a horse that has the ability to get the mile and a half from where I sit. As far as the pace makeup of the race, though, Jerry, when you look at the race, are you expecting (you won't) have to be around when Mine That Bird is on the back of the pack? Or do you feel like you're going to have (more forwardly placed)?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Well, I'd rather be a little more forwardly placed. Of course you know that a lot of that depends on what post you get and what you have to overcome in the beginning of the race. But we should probably be a little better placed than we were in the Derby. I would hope for that anyway.

George Pepis: And was there ever any doubt that Garrett Gomez was going to take your horse, considering Dunkirk and Todd Pletcher had plans to enter him into the Belmont? Was there ever any doubt that Gomez was not going to ride your horse?

Jerry Hollendorfer: You know what, I don't really know what all went on there in the musical chair jockey thing. But you know we ended up with Garrett and we're pleased about that. So I think he was considered for Dunkirk. And I think Johnny Velazquez ended up on Dunkirk and that's one of Todd Pletcher's main riders. And I think that fits him and I think Garrett fits us.

So it would have been vice versa, that would have been OK, too.

George Pepis: Jerry, thank you very much. And I wish you the best of luck next Saturday.

Jerry Hollendorfer: Oh, thanks a lot.

George Pepis: All right.

Operator: We'll go next to Debbie Arrington with Sacramento Bee.

Debbie Arrington: How has Chocolate Candy gone through this month of May? Is he coming into the Belmont as well as he was at the Derby?

Jerry Hollendorfer: I think so. You know he seems to like it wherever he goes. But he's been doing very well at Belmont. And when Garrett worked him, he thought he got over the track really well. So we're pleased with the way that he looks and the way that he's been training. And the rest is going to be up to him on Belmont day.

Debbie Arrington: And you were a very interested observer with the Preakness. What was your impression of Rachel Alexandra and Mine That Bird? And if they both go in the Belmont you know how do you think that they'll bounce back in that race?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Oh, I don't really know how they're going to bounce back. I would assume that if both are starters that they've been doing very well also. Rachel Alexandra lends another dimension of speed to the race. And I believe that speed is an asset in any race. And a lot of what happens in the Belmont I think has been good for speed horses.

Debbie Arrington: And what do you think if Mine That Bird?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Oh, I think he's a very legitimate, a very legitimate horse. I don't think there's any doubt in anybody's mind that the horse can run. He's a real runner.

Larry Stumes: OK. Jerry, a couple things. One, you got to fly back and forth a few times to watch the horse work. I mean, I know you go to LA a lot between Golden Gate Fields and Los Angeles because you have horses down there, but how is that traveling? Does the travel get to you at all? I think you said before you handle it, but how do you take all those - that one day on Saturday you flew out and then flew back Sunday morning right back to Golden Gate fields.

Jerry Hollendorfer: Right. That's right. You know I'm happy to have the opportunity to run in a big race like the Belmont. And so if I have to make a little extra sacrifice or do a little more time on the plane then I just adjust and make that into my schedule. So it's not bothersome at all. I'm very happy to do it.

Larry Stumes: Are you able to sleep on the plane?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Certainly.

Larry Stumes: Do you fly first class or coach?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Well you know what, I've been taking JetBlue and they don't have a first class. But they have some pretty roomy seats. And I'm not working for JetBlue but their seats work out very well for everybody in those seats. And it's quite nice to fly directly from Oakland right into JFK and just a short little jog down to Belmont.

Larry Stumes: One last question, I don't think this is true but winning a Triple Crown race or Breeder's Cup race, your career is a great career. You get (fourth leading) trainer of all time money wise.. But with winning a Triple Crown race and/or a Breeder's Cup race validate your career in your mind?

Jerry Hollendorfer: I don't know. You know I try to think that - you know I just do the best that I can with whatever horses I have. And I think - I think I don't have a whole lot to prove. I've won a lot of Stakes and a lot of races. So, I mean, everybody would like to win a Triple Crown race. And it would lend a lot of credibility to anybody's career, even a man like Wayne Lukas that's won so many. It would lend more to his career.

So it would certainly lend to mine if I could win the Belmont.

Operator: And once again, that is star 1 if you do have a question at this time. We'll go next to Alan Carasso with TDN.

Alan Carasso: Hey, Jerry. That actually was part of my question, would a Triple Crown win would mean. You've had a couple of Kentucky Oaks and a couple of decent sort of (top quarter) of the field finishes in the Derby.

Where does Chocolate Candy rate with some of the better 3-year-olds that you've had, King Glorious and/or Event of the Year?

Jerry Hollendorfer: Well, I think he ranks right up there. I thought he was one of the best horses that I've tried to take into the Triple Crown races. And I hope he validates that on June 6.

So you know I think he ranks right up there. It's a beautiful looking horse and he covers a lot of ground. And you know if I can get a little luck, I think he'll run real good in the Belmont.

Alan Carasso: And how about training for the Craig family. What's that mean to you?

Jerry Hollendorfer: That means a lot to me. They've been loyal people with me for many, many years. And it's been a pleasure training for them. And they've not ever complained about some of the things that go wrong, and they've always been very supportive. So it means a lot to me to train for the Craig family.

Eric Wing: All right. Well, Jerry Hollendorfer, it was very good of you to come on the call and share your thoughts with us today. And we wish you and Chocolate Candy the very best of luck a week from Saturday in the 141st Belmont Stakes.

Jerry Hollendorfer: OK. Thanks. Good luck to everybody.

Eric Wing: Thank you. That's trainer Jerry Hollendorfer who will send out Chocolate Candy in the mile-and-a-half Belmont Stakes, again, ABC from 5 to 7 pm on June 6, the under card coverage on ESPN from noon to 5.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    The trainer for the Derby winner is 2 for 40 ? I think his 15 minutes is up !
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    And over a million bucks in wins
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    OK Dray no pickin on ya till after ya beat that Blog LOL!!!