Charitable Man's connections expressing confidence

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the NY Times:

Who needs Rachel Alexandra? The Belmont Stakes is going to go off for the 141st time Saturday, and someone in the field of 10 is going to relish its mile-and-a-half distance and pass the Test of the Champion. Kiaran McLaughlin believes that colt is in his barn.

He said so even before the connections of Rachel Alexandra decided against running her in the Belmont.

Charitable Man is the colt’s name, and he has won three of his four lifetime starts, including an impressive victory in the Grade II Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont Park on May 9. The colt seemed to be packing a rocket beneath his saddle when his rider, Alan Garcia, asked for a run at the quarter pole — Charitable Man blasted off down the stretch for a three-and-three-quarter-length victory.

It was his second victory on Big Sandy, as the surface of this racetrack is known. Even better, Charitable Man’s pedigree says he is going to love the longer distance: His daddy, Lemon Drop Kid, won this race in 1999.

“We feel we’ve got the horse to beat,” said McLaughlin, who won the 2006 Belmont with Jazil. “Mine That Bird we have a lot of respect for, Dunkirk, and other horses, but I wouldn’t trade places with anyone. We’ve got a fresh horse who just won impressively here four weeks ago and he couldn’t be training any better. We’re very confident.”

On Saturday morning, McLaughlin asked Charitable Man’s exercise rider, Renzo Morales, to take the colt on a slow and sensible workout. He got it — the colt went four furlongs in 49 seconds. Last week, Charitable Man sizzled in a 22.97 opening quarter, and completed the same half-mile in 47.85.

“He went off a little fast for our liking, so in coaching him, he went off better today and therefore, a little slower, but we were very happy with it,” McLaughlin said Sunday. “He doesn’t need those 46-second works. We’re ready to go.”

McLaughlin’s friend and Belmont rival Todd Pletcher says he also believes Charitable Man is the most dangerous horse in the field because of his high cruising speed and front-running style.

Despite the Belmont’s grueling distance, the race has not been kind to closers like the Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird. In fact, in 27 of the last 30 Belmonts, the winner has been within two lengths of the leader at the top of the stretch.

Last year, Da’ Tara led from the gate, never looked back and not only won at odds of 38-1, but also thwarted Big Brown’s bid to become the 12th Triple Crown champion. He did it by loping the field along in leisurely fashion. It was Charitable Man’s jockey, Garcia, who engineered the wire-to-wire upset.

“At this point, Charitable Man is going to be on an uncontested, easy lead,” said Pletcher, who will saddle Dunkirk, who finished 11th in the Kentucky Derby. “That’s my biggest concern, aside from the fact he’s probably the horse to beat to begin with, and now he’s got a pace advantage. It’s going to be hard to catch a quality horse like Charitable Man if he gets a half in 49.”

Dunkirk had his final workout Sunday as well, going a half-mile in 49.57 with jockey John Velazquez. The gray colt also is lightly raced and had showed great promise, winning two of three before a rough trip in the Derby.

“He did it very easily,” Pletcher said of Dunkirk, who finished second to Quality Road in the Grade I Florida Derby. “He’s got terrific action, a smooth, fluid strike. I feel he’s a top-quality horse and has run well in three of his four races. The Derby, to me, I have to put a line through that race. I felt he didn’t handle the surface at all in that race.”

Mine That Bird does not arrive from Churchill Downs, where he is training, until Wednesday. His trainer, Chip Woolley, however, understands that the Belmont track has been unkind to late runners like his gelding.

Still, Woolley is not changing a thing. He has Calvin Borel back in the irons as he was in the Derby. Mine That Bird, too, has some pedigree on his side: his father, Birdstone, stopped Smarty Jones’s Triple Crown bid in the 2004 Belmont with a late run.

“There’ll be enough pace probably to set it up O.K. because if the pace is slower, it’s going to put my horse closer to the pace because he’s going to run his same race regardless,” Woolley said.

“We’re going to go in there and run our same race. And if you change his running style, you’re just going to — he’s not going to finish. And I’d rather be finishing than stopping.”

Woolley also respects Charitable Man.

“That horse is a real monster, loves that racetrack,” he acknowledged.

Still, Mine That Bird beat 18 others in the Derby, and all but Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness. So Woolley refuses to paint a bull’s-eye on any one horse.

“You’ve got to beat everybody in there,” he said. “There’s no way around it.”

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    Yeah Wooley should know his record this year is 2 for 35 ? Charitable and Dunkirk will fight it out to the wire but CM seems to have the advantage.