Braves -135 (Sunday)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Might as well bet now, it's only gonna go up tomorrow.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Adding a few more for Sunday:

Phillies +125

Phillies/Dodgers UNDER 8 (+100)

Mariners -130
    edited June 2009
    from MLB.com:

ATLANTA -- After hearing about the dominance that Tommy Hanson displayed in the Arizona Fall League, Chipper Jones found some video footage of the right-hander and immediately concluded that the big right-hander was already good enough to be a solid addition to the Braves' rotation.

Still while realizing that they were gifted with their top pitching prospect since Steve Avery, the Braves opted to provide Hanson the seasoning he hadn't quite gained through the 18 starts he'd made above Class A.

It's debatable whether the decision to have Hanson start this year in the Minors was based on a desire to delay the start of his arbitration clock. But as the 6-foot-6 right-hander prepares to make his Major League debut against the Brewers on Sunday afternoon, there are few that will dispute the fact that he is one of the game's top prospects.

"I don't think there's any doubt that Tommy Hanson is ready to pitch up here," Jones said. "We have all been waiting for the phone call, and it finally came. The kid is ready."

As the Braves look toward the future, they are encouraged by the talents possessed by Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman. But the greatest reason for promise comes courtesy of Hanson, who posted a 1.49 ERA and limited opponents to a .169 batting average in 11 starts for Triple-A Gwinnett this year.

"He has a great arm, and he puts the ball where he wants with four great pitches," Braves All-Star catcher Brian McCann said. "He's going to have a lot of success. He's a great dude and a great guy to have around the clubhouse."

Since posting a 0.63 ERA in seven Arizona Fall League starts, Hanson has drawn widespread attention. Baseball America ranked him as the game's second-best right-handed pitching prospect, and MLB.com rated him as the game's 24th-best overall prospect.

Over the course of the past two decades, the only Braves to arguably receive as much national hype entering their big league debuts were Avery, Jones and Andruw Jones. While some might argue that Kevin Millwood fits the description, Hanson stands as the first true power right-hander to come through this organization since John Smoltz.

"Ever since I signed, and even before that, I've just kept the same game plan to keep working hard and stay after it," Hanson said. "Since I signed, it seems like everything has come pretty fast."

Always blessed with a powerful right arm, Hanson truly began fast-tracking toward the Majors when the late Bruce Dal Canton helped him develop his curveball and a slider that is already considered to be above average.

After beginning the 2008 season by going 3-1 with a 0.90 ERA with Class A Myrtle Beach, Hanson moved to Double-A Mississippi, where he posted a 3.03 ERA in 18 starts. He led the Minors last year with a .175 opponents batting average and ranked second with 10.63 strikeouts per nine innings.

"His stuff has just gotten so much better," said Braves right-hander Kris Medlen. "His curve and slider now is unbelievable. He threw me some curves and sliders in college that I fouled off. Now I couldn't touch them. He's just progressed so much."

While Medlen thrived during the first six weeks of this season with Gwinnett, he and many others were shocked when the Braves promoted him, instead of Hanson, to fill a rotation spot on May 21.

After Medlen was chosen in front of him, Hanson worked 25 2/3 innings, allowed two earned runs and registered 33 strikeouts. But when asked if he was motivated by the fact that his good friend and roommate got the first call to the Majors, the still-humble hurler said it was purely coincidental that it came at a time when he found a groove.

"When Kris got called up, I was just excited about being able to watch him and stuff like that," Hanson said. "I don't think that had anything to do with it. I think I just felt a lot more comfortable out there."

When they released Tom Glavine earlier this week, the Braves proved that they're ready to look toward the future. While upset by the way his situation was handled, Glavine said he's certainly hoping that Hanson is capable of proving why he's so highly regarded.

"I think he's going to be an excellent pitcher," Glavine said. "I want to see him do well. But there's enough pressure when you take that field as a veteran player, let alone a rookie. I just hope that whatever after-effects there are from this that he gets caught up in, I hope it's not anything that distracts him or makes him feel like he has to be anything more than he already is."

While Medlen was overcome with nerves during both of his first two starts in May, Hanson believes he's capable of handling the emotions that he'll encounter while experiencing the moment that he and many Braves fans have been eagerly anticipating.

"I'm more anxious than nervous," Hanson said. "I just want to get out there and get going. That's the biggest thing. I want to get that first batter out of the way and get the first inning out of the way and then go from there. I'm just ready to go."

Pitching matchup
    ATL: RHP Tommy Hanson (Major League debut)
    Hanson expects 30 to 40 friends and family members to be in attendance. Some of these individuals had to alter their travel plans when Thursday's rainout pushed the right-hander's debut back one day.

MIL: LHP Manny Parra (3-7, 6.75 ERA)
    The Brewers desperately needed Parra to pitch deep into his start at Florida on Tuesday to spare a battered bullpen, and he didn't do it. Not only did he set dubious career highs in allowing 10 runs and 11 hits, Parra only made it through the fourth. His ERA has jumped from 4.82 to 6.75 over his past three starts, all losses. The Brewers are one of only three teams in baseball to use just five starting pitchers this season (the Giants and Pirates are the others) and the Brewers appear committed to allowing Parra to work out his kinks in the big leagues.

Tidbits
    Chipper Jones left Saturday night's game when he felt some dizziness. But before leaving Turner Field, the veteran third baseman said that he felt he'd be ready to play on Sunday. The Braves have been shut out during the first two games of this series and they haven't scored a run in their past 22 innings. They have scored a run in just five of the 41 innings they've played during this homestand. ... Hanson is assuming the rotation spot previously held by Medlen, who hasn't made a relief appearance since moving to the bullpen. ... Casey Kotchman participated during Saturday's batting practice. Kotchman has been sidelined since Sunday, when he got hit on the right shin with a pitch.
    edited June 2009
    Braves win, 8-7.
    edited June 2009
    Mariners win, 4-2.
  • bbixlerbbixler Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Nice job so far!
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited June 2009
    are you sure your a horse capper LOL