Article on Mine That Bird from none other than Chip Woolley

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the NY Post:

Bennie "Chip" Woolley Jr., 45, trains Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, who finished third in Saturday's Belmont Stakes. Woolley shares his obser vations with Post readers. As told to Ed Fountaine.

THANK goodness for a good colt that brought me here to have so much fun. When they turned for home in the Belmont and he struck the front, the crowd roared like there was a Triple Crown on the line. That was really cool.

I'm disappointed we lost, but I've enjoyed this whole experience. I'm sure I've learned things about the Triple Crown I don't even realize yet.

The Belmont was the race we pointed for from the beginning, and we wouldn't have run in the Preakness if we didn't win the Derby. Maybe if we skipped the Preakness, we might have won Saturday. But I'd much sooner win the Derby and run third in the Belmont than run fifth in the Derby and win the Belmont.

I've been watching the Derby since I was 8 years old. Just to be part of it would have been worth the trip. Even if he'd finished last, I'd have joined a list of great trainers that finished last. But he earned his way there, and I thank God every day that we went.

I really felt a mile-and-a-quarter fit him better than any horse in the race. I knew he could run all day, and he's got an amazing turn of foot.

It's all about the horse. Mine That Bird is an individual, and he'll tell you when and where to run. I'm not working any magic. He's just a good horse, and he does his job.

He'll get some well-earned time off now. For his next race, we're looking at the usual races. The Travers, Haskell, Pennsylvania Derby, West Virginia Derby. We're working backward from the Breeders' Cup, his ultimate goal, seeing which of those races fit.

There have been several offers to buy him. We'll see what happens.

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    If he wants to win another race this year may I suggest the Pennsylvania Derby. Travers and Haskell will not be kind to him.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    Cat Bite Your Lip ...don't Give No Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    DUNCO enough of the crazy talk I have no idea what you are talking about.....geez
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    Point Blank We Don't Want Your Sorry Ass On The Site...if You Want Us To Vote On It That Can Be Arraigned... Just List A Post ..do You Want Me To Stay Or Go ..if It Hits 50 Go's In One Week You Leave If It Dosn't I'll Leave ,otherwise Please Just Read An Shut Your Dumb Hate Filled Mouth
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    Post It Big Mouth..the Cat Got Your Tongue???
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    mr. d you know there will be no post!!!!
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    DUNCO wrote: »
    Point Blank We Don't Want Your Sorry Ass On The Site...if You Want Us To Vote On It That Can Be Arraigned... Just List A Post ..do You Want Me To Stay Or Go ..if It Hits 50 Go's In One Week You Leave If It Dosn't I'll Leave ,otherwise Please Just Read An Shut Your Dumb Hate Filled Mouth

You need to chill out a bit and remember this is a horse racing site. :smoking:
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    turfman wrote: »
    mr. d you know there will be no post!!!![/QUOT
    YOU SHOULD OF GIVEN 5-1
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    no post saying lets vote!!!!...1/9.....d will be here forever!!!!lol