Diamondbacks +155

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
As you guys may know, Padres starter Jake Peavy had the shortest outing of his career last week getting lit up for 4 runs in the 1st inning and then leaving the game immediately afterward. He was subsequently diagnosed with an upper repiratory infection.

He was supposed to make his next start on Sunday, but reportedly was still not feeling late in the week, and the decision was made to push him back another day. So there's a very legitimate chance (in fact, it's more like a probability) that Peavy is not 100% right now. And in my opinion, this not being factored into the line here.

Arizona starter Garland is no great shakes, but he has pitched quite well on the road this year, with an era of 2.01 and a 1.24 whip. That includes 7 scoreless innings in San Diego earlier this year.

Gotta believe there's value on the Dbacks tonight.

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    Cat ..thank God I Don't Bet Sports...but If You Saw That Basketball Game Last Night With 3 Seconds Left And The Pro Missed A Dunk ...i'll Bet Cockrouches Before I Ever Bet Sports Again ...i'm Sure Will Here The Dick Had An Inner Ear Problem..it's All Bullshit ..suckers Game Because It's A 50/50 Bet...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Dunco, you're way off base here. People can and do win on sports.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    I'm Not Saying They Can't But It Is Still A 50/50 Bet That Always Has An Excuse... Like He Missed A Dunk...or I Be A Winner...i'll Stick To Horses At Least Then I Can Figure Out How I Won Or Lost... Shit Half Of The Baseball Players Are Detoxing...but The Game Must Go On...peavy Will Be Full Of The Best Drugs On The Market...and Pitch A Strong Game..see How Easy That Was..50/50..good Luck Cat...we Will Be Waiting For The Excuse From You Or Me...
    edited June 2009
    from the Padres website:

SAN DIEGO -- Padres pitcher Jake Peavy hasn't exactly been a picture of health during the past week, but he'll look to return to top form on Monday to close out a four-game series against the D-backs at PETCO.

An upper respiratory viral infection led to the shortest start of Peavy's career on Tuesday in a 10-5 loss to the Phillies. He threw one inning, giving up four earned runs in 33 pitches.

It was the first time since 2006 that Peavy allowed four runs in the first inning.

Peavy was originally slated to open the series a day earlier against the Phillies, but Padres manager Bud Black decided an extra day of rest would be beneficial for lingering tendinitis in his right ankle.

So it was a surprise even to teammates when Peavy was hampered not by his ankle, but rather, a viral bug.

"We had no idea. We didn't find out until he came out," outfielder Scott Hairston said. "Knowing Jake, he's a competitor. He probably didn't want anybody to know, but obviously the way it turned out, it affected him. We actually respect his decision to come out and at least try to play."

Black announced on Friday that he would start Peavy on Monday, giving him an extra day to recuperate with Josh Geer making the start on Sunday.

Black also said Friday that Peavy's ankle was no longer causing any problems. But Black apparently changed his mind on Saturday, saying that the ankle was again a slight issue.

Peavy, who threw a side session on Saturday, is "getting better on both fronts," Black said on Sunday.

Peavy is one victory away from his 92nd with the Padres, which would tie him at No. 2 on the franchise's all-time list.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    Good Drugs?
    edited June 2009
    Diamondbacks lose, 9-6.
    edited June 2009
    Typo there, I meant to say 6-3.