Dunkirk injured; set for surgery

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

Dunkirk, who ran a gutsy, front-running second in the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), came out of the race with a non-displaced condylar fracture of the left hind cannon bone and will undergo surgery June 9 at the new Ruffian Equine Medical Center across the street from Belmont Park. Dr. Patricia Hogan will perform the operation.

“He will have a screw placed in the area that will stabilize the injury while it heals,” said trainer Todd Pletcher in a release. “We anticipate a full recovery and a return to racing later this fall.”

The Belmont was just the fifth start in Dunkirk’s career, which began with a maiden victory Jan. 24 at Gulfstream Park by 5 ¾ lengths. He next won an allowance event by daylight at the same venue, then ran second behind Quality Road in the Florida Derby (gr. I). Dunkirk was a disappointing 11th in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), but came back with a strong effort in the Belmont, carving out honest fractions early before being passed by Mine That Bird in the stretch. But Dunkirk came back on to finish ahead of Mine That Bird, and 2 ¾ lengths behind winner Summer Bird.

Dunkirk (Unbridled’s Song—Secret Status, by A. P. Indy) is owned by Michael Tabor, Sue Magnier, and Derrick Smith. He was bred in Kentucky by W. S. Farish, James Elkins, and W. T. Webber Jr.

He has earned $393,200.

Dunkirk was a $3.7-million Keeneland September yearling sale purchase.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    thats the concrete at the gulf...did any horse survive??????
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    Lol.... still blaming Gulfstream Park ?
    edited June 2009
    well when has qr ran last or did i miss it??????????
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Might've given him a tiny stress fracture that went undetected. You never know about those things.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    well when has qr ran last or did i miss it??????????

He is training and should make the Travers.:peace:
    edited June 2009
    i give it even money he wont make it??????
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    To be honest... I don't think I would take 3 to 1 right now.... it can't be a very good situation. Sounds like he may have paper feet. Once he runs they will have to take him on turf like they did with Big Brown to try and make it to the Breeders Cup. He only has 3 races left in him the way things are going...
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited June 2009
    Leach Got You Guy For 1/2 Pint ...wake Up He A Leach...