Summer Bird pointing to the Travers, via the Jim Dandy

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Brisnet:

Belmont S. (G1) winner SUMMER BIRD (Birdstone) could return to New York during the summer to run at Saratoga Race Course in the August 1 Jim Dandy S. (G2) and the August 29 Travers S. (G1).

"We've discussed the Jim Dandy and the Travers with the owners (Drs. Kalarikkal and Vilasini Jayaraman)," winning trainer Tim Ice said, his voice still hoarse Sunday morning from cheering Summer Bird home in Saturday's 1 1/2-mile race. "If we go, like we did for the Belmont, we'll go ahead of time, ship up a month before the Jim Dandy.

"People tell me you have to go to two places -- Del Mar and Saratoga," said Ice, who took out his trainer's license 14 months ago. "I've been to Del Mar, and to take a horse like this and go to Saratoga would be amazing."

Summer Bird, who was making only his fifth career start in the Belmont, came out of the "Test of the Champion" in great shape, according to Ice.

"I had him grazing for two hours," the conditioner said. "He looks great."

Ice, who celebrated his 35th birthday Saturday, said he thought there were several factors that contributed to Summer Bird's victory, which was the second of his brief career.

"He had five weeks off, the horse is maturing, the jockey (Kent Desormeaux) is a Hall of Famer who knows Belmont Park and was our best shot, and I'm glad I came here early," Ice explained. "It took the horse a week to get used to the track. After I saw him train here the first three days, I put toe grabs on him (in back), and of course right after the Derby we were going to put blinkers on, and he was up closer.

"He's done nothing but give me confidence," he added. "When he two-minute-clipped on Wednesday, he put confidence in me."

Summer Bird, a homebred son of 2004 Belmont Stakes winner Birdstone, will leave New York on Monday and be flown to Louisville, Kentucky. From there, he will be vanned to Louisiana Downs in Bossier City, Louisiana, Ice's home base.

"I have about 25 horses there, and I picked up two new owners just in the weeks I've been here," said Ice. "This whole thing is unbelievable. Watching the horse come down the stretch was like an out-of-body experience."