Trainer and Jockey quotes from the Californian

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Hollywood Park:

Jockey Quotes

TYLER BAZE, INFORMED, Winner: “This is a horse with a big heart. He’s got that one three-eighths mile run. I knew if I could time it right, not move him too early or too late, I could get him there. Even before Dubai, I told Leandro and Doug, ‘I should be on this horse, I can win with him.’ I watched his replays several times and I finally got the opportunity to ride him today. I never even worked him before today. It was like a puzzle. We put the pieces together and it all worked out.”

JOSE VALDIVIA, RAIL TRIP, Second: “From the get-go, I was going to make Ball Four work a little more today. That other kid (Joe Talamo on Ball Four) was riding on a loose rein, so I just eased him back out of there. No sense going head and head. He ran his race. You just can’t beat Doug O’Neill right now.”

RAFAEL BEJARANO, DAKOTA PHONE, Third: “He always tries real hard. I had a good position and thought I had a good chance but that other horse never quit and was still running to the end.”

Trainer Quotes

DOUG O’NEILL, INFORMED, Winner: “This is such a great group of owners. They had the opportunity to go into the Directors’ Room, get a free buffet and open bar. He’s an extremely talented horse but he’s been a little bit inconsistent. This race was definitely something we were trying out and shooting for the stars type of thing. I thought this was a wide open race. Rail Trip we knew was a brilliant horse but I, like some people, questioned if a mile and one-eighth was his ideal distance. I thought he was maybe a little bit vulnerable. Ball Four ran such a big race but he kind of had the race to himself last time. It was a wide open race, and we’ve seen Informed run good enough to make sense to give him a chance. We’ll be back. Unless they close the Directors’ Room, we’ll be back. He deserves a chance back, that’s for sure.”

RON ELLIS, RAIL TRIP, Second: “I thought he ran awesome. He turned the tables on Ball Four. It’s just a tough situation when you have two speed horses in there, and it cost him in the end. Without Ball Four in the race I think we’re an easy winner. We’ll see about the Gold Cup. I want to see how he comes out of this. I’m not sure if farther is better for him.”

JERRY HOLLENDOFER, DAKOTA PHONE, third: (Will he be heading to Gold Cup?) “Yes, for sure.”