Del Mar moves to a 5-day race week

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Gaming Today:

Less could mean more when Del Mar begins its 70th season on July 22. The track where the turf meets the surf will offer 37 racing days, six fewer than in the past. In addition to Tuesdays being dark, there will be no racing on Mondays, save for Labor Day, Sept. 7.

Diminishing horse population is the most common reason rendered for the reduction. Del Mar will attempt to make up for a loss of some 50 races by adding to its weekend and Labor Day programs.

Doug O’Neill, for one, welcomes the change, for both man and beast.

"I think it will be good, for sure," said the 41-year-old trainer, Del Mar’s leader in 2004, 2006 and 2007. "With year-round racing, trying to go six days a week is too tough. One nice thing about Del Mar, the (daily live) attendance is always the best of any track in Southern California. So when people do come out, you want to give them a great show, with good fields and great (promotional) events. The best way to do that was to go to five days a week. I think that’s smart. They’ll be able to add a race here and there, because I think there’s enough inventory for that."

Anyone who has endured a seven-week Del Mar campaign deserves a badge of survival or at least a T-shirt.

Trying to make a round trip run from Del Mar to LA after Monday’s races and return in time for Wednesday’s card could consume six hours in daunting traffic on the 405. Buying basics from the super market or even hitting the cleaners, bank and post office could absorb much of a 24-hour Tuesday break. Searching for a legal parking spot and a restful vista overlooking the blue Pacific often made even a day at the beach a harrowing experience.

"A five-day week is good for the human connections, too," O’Neill said, "but mainly for the horses."

Brian Koriner concurs. "I think it’s fine," said the 43-year-old Montebello native, one of the circuit’s rising training stars. "Six days was too much. People with businesses to run never got a chance to leave town and get stuff done, and Monday was never a big day there anyway.

"I wish they would have taken the eliminated Mondays and started the Del Mar meet a week earlier or just extended it a week. But with five days, I think people will be able to enjoy the meet more and it will be much more relaxed and better for everybody."

At a June 5 meeting, California Horse Racing Board commissioners voted 5-1 to grant Hollywood Park its four-day race week, with Chairman John Harris dissenting. He cited job loss throughout the state due to the cutback from five days. The CHRB expects Oak Tree and Santa Anita to race five days at their upcoming meets this year, as well as Hollywood for its fall meet. But former Santa Anita President Cliff Goodrich, now a consultant for Fairplex Park, said the Pomona track would request one less day this year–15, instead of the 16 allocated.

Four-day weeks at Hollywood have resulted in expected trickle-down effects. Several labor unions opposed the cutback, citing less work for union members, making it more difficult for them to qualify for health and retirement benefits, which require a minimum number of work days. Doug Kempt, vice president of Pari-Mutuel Employees Guild Local 280, estimated that in the Pari-Mutuel Guild alone, some 400 workers would lose more than $700,000 in salary and benefits over Hollywood’s nine lost Wednesdays.

Robert Hartman, general manager of Golden Gate Fields, and Chris Korby, executive director of the California Authority of Racing Fairs, expressed concern over losing the Southern California simulcast signal on Wednesdays. Hartman said his track was forced to cancel Wednesday racing for the balance of the meet (which ended June 14) because of a steep drop in attendance and handle with no Southern California signal to help attract patrons.

Meanwhile, Southern California’s racing calendar will change dramatically with Hollywood’s closing, which could come within a year.

"It’s going to be difficult," Koriner said. "We’re already suffering because of the economy. I see big changes in the schedule, but who knows?" The dates would go in some form to Santa Anita, Oak Tree, Del Mar or Fairplex Park.

"We’ll just wait and see," said Bill Spawr, who expressed cautious trepidation when asked about the shorter season at the seashore. Spawr tied for training title at Del Mar in 1990 and won it outright in 1994. "I hate to see the cutback," he said. "We’re seeing four days at Hollywood and five days at Del Mar. What’s next? California’s in trouble. I’m afraid one day it’s going to be all over, and people will wake up and say, ‘What happened?’"