Simon Holt previews the Thursday card @ Royal Ascot

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

It would be fantastic if Yeats could make it a historic four Ascot Gold Cups on Thursday but there is a big doubt coming into the race.

In previous years he has come through his preparatory run with a victory but this time he was well beaten in soft ground at Navan and did not really show any great sparkle.

He was blowing very hard after that race and trainer Aidan O'Brien reported that he is getting increasingly lazy in his homework as time goes on and perhaps needed the run.

It does leave a question mark as to whether he is as good as he was and still has the hunger for racing.

If he has, then he is the one they all have to beat.

He beat Geordieland by five lengths last year - that horse reopposes and he comes into the race after a defeat of Patkai in the Henry II Stakes at Sandown.

This race does hinge on Yeats being as good as he was - if he is then history will be made.

If he doesn't produce his best then both Geordieland and Patkai are big dangers.

The former in the past has sometimes not found a great deal under pressure but there was nothing wrong with his win at Sandown where he slammed Patkai by five lengths.

That horse also has his quirks but has shown a liking for Ascot in the past and that should stand him in good stead.

The extra half mile should also suit him as well but at Sandown he did look a difficult ride.

For me, the most reliable horse in the field is Godolphin's Veracity.

I would be very concerned about the form of the stable but Veracity has run very well for them this season and in Dubai earlier in the year.

He was third behind Ask in the Yorkshire Cup and that race would not be far enough for Veracity, who was a winner of the Jockey Club Cup at Newmarket last backend.

He just seems to be consistent and should relish the distance of two and half miles.

If all the flaws appear in those other rivals then maybe Veracity will be the one to pick up the pieces.

The Norfolk Stakes gets Thursday's card under way and Richard Hannon has another very good unbeaten two year old in Monsieur Chevalier.

He has a wonderful temperament for the job and has won all four of his starts so far, including the National Stakes at Sandown last time.

That indicates that a stiff five furlongs suits him well and I see him extending his unbeaten run.

This is his hardest task so far but I think that he is a very professional little juvenile.

The Ribblesdale Stakes does not look the strongest renewal.

Leocorno is beautifully bred and a half-sister to Golan and Tartan Bearer - which is a magnificent family.

She won very easily at Sandown last time, which was not a very strong race but you just feel there is a lot more to come.

The Britannia is always very competitive and I have a liking for Brief Encounter, who is a really nice horse drawn low in the hands of William Buick.

He won really well at York last time and will be well suited by the stiff mile.

I think Freemantle is going to take a lot of beating in the Hampton Court Stakes after he ran very well in the Dante Stakes.

He is probably going to come on for that run and I think that he will justify likely favouritism.