Poker Stakes Winner dies...RIP

KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Wow 4 days just after winning the poker stakes Sailor's Cap dies
i was reading this morning like i do an checking out the world of horse racing an stumble on this bad news. wow an i saw this race.. my prayers go out to the connections an owner an every1 connected with this lost....:sweatdrop::clover:

"Team Valor International has announced that its stakes winning colt Sailor's Cap died suddenly early Wednesday morning at Belmont Park. The cause of death is not yet known."

"He spiked a temperature during the day on Tuesday," said trainer J.J. Toner, "and simply collapsed early in the morning. We are all incomplete shock over this turn of events."

An autopsy will be performed at the New Bolton Clinic of the University of Pennsylvania, the same place where Barbaro was sent after his 2006 Preakness Stakes injury.

Sailor's Cap, ridden by Alan Garcia, won Sunday's $100,000 Poker Stakes at Belmont. The four-year-old covered the one-mile turf race in 1:36.50 in defeating 3-5 favorite Kip Deville.

The colt was the winner of four of 10 lifetime starts for $616,970. Last year he won the $600,000 Colonial Turf Cup Gr.3 at Colonial Downs (in a downpour) and was third in the track's $700,000 Virginia Derby Gr.2.

"He was just coming into his own," said Team Valor president Barry Irwin. "This shows the highs and lows of this game. It is a tough nut to swallow."

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Wow. I can't believe this. Horrible news.

I've been a fan of Sailor's Cap for a while, he won a race for me @ Colonial Downs last year over heavy ground. He loved the squishy turf.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah when i found out this morning i was like wowwwwwww
    i just saw this race this past weekend..,, whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa:surprised:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    from Thoroughbred Times:

An initial necropsy showed Poker Stakes (G3) winner Sailor’s Cap died of cardiac arrest on Wednesday from an underlying condition of Colitis X, principal owner Barry Irwin said.

Sailor’s Cap won the Poker three days earlier at Belmont Park in his first start of the year.

Colitis X is an intestinal condition that was cited in the death of Grade 2 winner Freedom’s Daughter in 2002 and as the probable cause in the death of champion Landaluce in 1982. Seattle Slew, the sire of Landaluce, suffered a near-fatal bout of Colitis X in 1978.