Simon Holt previews the Friday card @ Royal Ascot

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Ghanaati heads the field for the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot and I rather fell in love with her at Newmarket when she won the 1000 Guineas.

She was the most effortless mover to post and she came back even better to beat Cuis Ghaire in what was only her third career start.

You would think that she would come on for that effort and she looks a cracking good filly in the making.

She looks a very strong contender here although she is up a against a top French filly in Elusive Wave, who has won five of her six starts.

She looks a big threat and you also have to throw in Again, who won the Irish 1000 Guineas.

All her form has been with cut in the ground so you would have to watch the weather in terms of her chance.

Potentially the most interesting runner in the race is Rainbow View, who was long-time ante-post favourite for the 1000 Guineas.

She found the ground too quick at Newmarket and has subsequently finished fourth in the Oaks when she may have not stayed the trip at Epsom.

She now drops back to a mile once again and if the ground is not too quick then this is the day we find out whether Rainbow View has truly trained on.

But I think that Ghanaati made such a big impression on me and I have to stick with her.

There is another American-trained two year old in the Albany Stakes and Wesley Ward and John Velazquez have already enjoyed a tremendous week.

They team up with Aegean in this, who has already won both her starts and looks very interesting.

But the one they may all have to beat is Lillie Langtry, who won a Group race last time at Naas.

After that is the King Edward VII Stakes and the horse I like is one that missed the Epsom Derby - South Easter trained by William Haggas.

He won the Dee Stakes at Chester narrowly in early May and I think it may benefit him to have missed Epsom.

Other rivals come into the race having run in the Derby and the two events are very close together this season and it is just possible that those exertions could leave an effect.

This is only his third run and looks to have lots of improvement to come.

The Wolferton Handicap looks very difficult but it could be 'hats off for Her Majesty' as Kingdom Of Fife looks to have a perfectly good chance.

He was winner of the Zetland Gold Cup last time at Redcar and could still be very well handicapped.

In the Queen's Vase, there are a lot of uncertain stayers, but one that should get the trip well is Sabotage.I think that he is crying out for a step up in distance and he will do for me.

In the closing Buckingham Palace Handicap, I just love Harrison George as he never runs a bad race and looks a cracking each-way bet.