Jess Jackson's comments on the Breeders Cup

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Daily Gazette:

Curlin used Saratoga Race Course, specifically the Oklahoma training track, as his summer base the past two years. In 2007, it was to train; last year, he won the Grade 1 Woodward. On both occasions, he was voted Horse of the Year.

The plans figure to be identical for Rachel Alexandra, who has the same connections in co-owner Jess Jackson and trainer Steve Asmussen. Jackson said on a national conference call this afternoon that he expected to bring a large part of his Stonestreet Stable horses to the Spa, known for its tradition, history and lucrative purses.

On Saturday, Preakness and Kentucky Oaks winner Rachel Alexandra returns to action in the Grade 1 Mother Goose against fellow 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park. Only three or four are expected to challenge.

The bigger challenge will be in deciding where to go next. Jackson mentioned several options, including the Grade 1 Alabama against females and the $1 million Travers against males at Saratoga.

"You have to read the horse and see what her condition is before you can set a full calendar for her," Jackson said. "I'd love to run her in the Travers. I'd love to run her in the Alabama. We just want to make sure she's in top shape and ready to go when we run her.

"We have to look at them all and see which is best suited for her in her condition at that time. I think she recovers quickly, so we'll see. Many of them are too tight together to be able to run in all of them. We can't predict her health all the way through the year, but if she stays healthy we'd like to try and pick a spot where she can compete against the boys again and, if she stays really healthy, have her possibly run again as a 4-year-old."

One spot Jackson ruled out is the Breeders' Cup, which will be run for the second straight year on the artificial Pro-Ride surface at Santa Anita in California. It returns to conventional dirt in 2010 at Churchill Downs.

"I'm not inclined to go to the Breeders' Cup," Jackson said. "I have a very strong dislike for the plastic, and I don't believe she should be exposed to that."

Jockey Calvin Borel, who has won six straight races with Rachel, all in graded stakes, will be back aboard on Saturday. Unlike the Belmont Stakes, where he ran third with Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, Borel expects to ride at least one other race prior to the Mother Goose.

Borel also stopped short of guaranteeing a victory like he did with Mine That Bird during Belmont week.

"I have a lot of confidence in the filly. I think she's the best horse I've ever been on in my life," Borel said. "I don't go back on my word too many times. She's looked so good training out here at Churchill. She's doing so good. We've got nothing to prove."

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Discreet--why Mr. Jackson is holding her back east also is in question on Steve Asmussen's hearing @ Lone Star Park on July 7....I'll be there as a character witness for Steve...they postponed this from May and its been over a year since the infraction....don't know how these Texans are going to rule--Lone Star has been pretty good to him so far...but they know they got to do something or you'll have some pissed off horsemen here in Texas....we will soon find out.....
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    The state of the racing game is in shambles, all the way from the fiance to the track surface. We will never again see true horse racing at it's best. Two weeks ago a mare out ran the boys at CH and on that day we had the so called experts best handicapp horse going. They you have a former 25k claimer win a graded race at HW. What's going to happen in coming weeks for the Gold Cup. The game is flat out horrible right now, RA and Lady Zen will never meet, and as Dranay says she will stay out west beating the same old bunh of filles and mares. What is going to happen is one of the upcoming races she is going to short and then everyone is going to pick apart her resume. Then she will never run again if she losses. What is going to happen to RA is they won't have any type of fillies race against her and then she will have to face the older colts now and someonoe is going to tag team her and run her in the ground in either the Haskell or Travers. They she will be done also. We don't have one true grade 1 older horse running right now on Dirt or the Sticky stuff. The only good thing about this is it makes for great betting races but not much to root for. I truly think Cali jump the gun on removing the dirt and going with the Sticky Stufff, someone made a boat load of cash on that deal. I wonder what parking lot the meet in to received that paper bag.

fb
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    Yeah... the Zenyatta Pride debate is old.... Jess already said he would meet her on a neutral site but that would be too good for racing and the sport and we wouldn't want to do that. A match race ? Lol... wouldn't be a contest.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Dag Dray, does every blog has to turn into this "Zenyatta Pride" thing? Zenyatta would win the Match Race or anyother kind of race you want. There I said it and believe it too.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    he is having flashbacks of curlin getting passed around the turn....its overrated because the older mare is just to good right now....
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited June 2009
    Honestly if you all think in a match Zen would win you all are dreaming. RA would just set her own pace while Zen is forced to sit off. In a match Zen will not win, she would need a rabit.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited June 2009
    Zen needs a rabbit to win against RA, and even that may not work seeing as how she can rate off the pace. In a match Zen would loose by double digets.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    wow you sound just like draynay......hmmmmm...
    edited June 2009
    Is this Danip, Dray incognito. Listen Danip again I'll say it. Zenyatta can sit back where ever she wants and RA will try to keep her in her sites, but reguardless how far back Zen is the facted is she turns it on after the quarter pole and hit the 6f marker in a 1:09 & change Again 1:09 and that's when she just started. RA will not be able to keep up with who I think was the REAL HOTY last year. NO RABBIT, NO FRILLS.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited June 2009
    And i'll say this once, no i'm not Dray in fact this is one of the only issues i've ever agreed with him on. Zenyatta does need a rabbit, because if she sit too close to RA that kick will disinagrate. When she wins against a quality speed horse then i might consider changing my mind.
    edited June 2009
    YouTube - Zenyatta - Maiden Race Danip, you are alright. I must say you make me laugh. Not taking anything away from RA, she's a great Filly, but here is Zenyatta's Maiden race checkout the fractions set and where she at, on the track, when the time are made. I think you would agree that even on that Maiden race Zen would beat RA today. Also you would agree that Zenyatta wouldn't need a rabbit. RA is rabbit enough to run at. Just thought it would interrest you to watch it.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited June 2009
    Cinfront,
    it is a six and a half furlong race, when has Zenyatta hit that three quarters pole in 1.09 in a race that is a mile or above? Plus did you see the final time of 1.15. It took her seven seconds to complete half a furlong. While it's an impressive race, her getting six furlongs in a maiden six and a half furlongs tells me nothing of how she will handle that pace in a longer race. I would even hazard a guess to say that she was never in the lead at that point in a race where the distance was a mile or over. She is by all means a brilliant mare, but what quality speep has she faced. Hysterical lady i would count, but she hated the track in both their meetings. Zen has never face a true speed horse at all. I still feel against RA she would need a rabbit. I will thank you for aproving of me, or at least i think that is what alright means, lol. You may not say that later as you find out i'm a very stubborn person.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited June 2009
    cinfront,
    I looked at all of Zens races this year and last, and not once was she in front of the six furlong pole, even whe the pace was 1.09 or 1.10. The only time she ever did what you said was in her six and a half maiden, where honestly if your not in front with a half to go your not gonna win. When she made an early run in, i forget if it was in the Lady's Secret or Clement Hirsh, she was almost beaten by TTS, and had TTS gone to the outside sooner instead of being on the inside and failing to split horses, Zenyatta might have been beaten. What i took from that race is that if Zen moves to early into a fast pace she could easily burn out. In last years distaff, Mike Smith waited to make his move and Zen finished much stronger. This is why i feel if Zen tried that with RA she'd loose either way, senerio one she'd burn out because she moved too early, or senerio two RA would still have plenty left and Zen would be closing but would not be able to get to a still fresh RA.