Interesting perspective on the Rachel Alexandra/Breeders Cup situation

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Left at the Gate:

We spent far too much time last year debating whether Jess Jackson would or would not / should or should not run his Horse of the Year candidate in the Breeders' Cup, so I'm not playing that game again, homey. Rachel Alexandra is his horse, run her, don't run her, I couldn't care less. But, of course, just a few comments before we move on from this permanently.

A friend made what I think is an excellent point: By so derisively shunning the Santa Anita racing surface ("plastic"), and framing his decision (at least as of today) in terms of Curlin's failure over it in the Classic, Jackson is protecting the value of his stallion by blaming his loss on the surface. Perhaps he feels that holding his filly out of the race could go a long way towards enhancing that perception.

Secondly, just maybe, a part of Breeders' Cup officials could actually feel relieved if she really doesn't run. If she were to go in the Classic, it would make a mockery of Filly Friday. If she were to run in the Distaff, they'd face pressure to move the race to Saturday, lest it be run on a late Friday afternoon/evening on ESPN2.

Comments

• KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    wow all these variables us human have2 deal with, when the horses/fillies all they have2 do is run
    regardless the scenerio, Rachael Alexander is a Great filly an all these hot air about
    what ,where,when ,if is just connection talk

i saw her yesterday at belmontPark relaxing check out the horses while they get ready to race ,
    wow she looks good looking cute with her tongue out :yes: ,knobbing her head, looking around
    an enjoying the day an
    waiting for her time......:clover: