Calder Race course R#1 PURITA

KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWww bigggggggggg wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:cool2:
i just saw this race an it left me puzzle with the pay out

unreal, crazyyyyyyyy prices to win it paid 176.20 yes that correct 176.20 an to place 14.00
what a race PURITA had no competition just took off an ran ran ran wow :drinking:

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the heads-up. Do us a favor though and cut down on the lettering...
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    do you remember about 15 years ago when Calvin rode a 108-1 shot in the Arkansas Derby? Paid $218 and change.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the heads-up. Do us a favor though and cut down on the lettering...

ok just was a bit excited :peace:
    edited June 2009
    do you remember about 15 years ago when Calvin rode a 108-1 shot in the Arkansas Derby? Paid $218 and change.

Was that the one that was later busted for using a buzzer during the race? Forget the name right now. Don't think it was Calvin who rode him though.
    edited June 2009
    i did a search, an read up on it an found this article
    i'm not sure if this is the race your talking about

“I was back in the stalls bugging my family,” she said. “I didn’t remember doing anything wrong that should be reviewed. I don’t know how long it was, but it was long. I didn’t have a clue. I just wanted to hear it would be official. Cooper kept telling me, ‘Mom, it will be OK.’ ”
    Cogdell thus couldn’t relax until announcer Tom Holt listed the official order of finish for the awards presentation. The 216 stood and Cogdell won by two points over Christina Galyean, 23, Ardmore, Okla., riding Pretty Rose Marie (Pretty Boy Cat x Rosemarie Merada x Freckles Merada).

Cogdell earned $7,555, including a $1,500 cash bonus on Dual With Lena, who was purchased as a yearling and was a birthday present from her husband Dick. She said the run was a tough one and noted her first cow "was fast, very fast." Galyean picked up $5,539 (including a $500 bonus)."
    edited June 2009
    This is the horse i was referring to...

from the NY Times:

Valhol, the 30-1 shot who won the Arkansas Derby and touched off an investigation, galloped over the Churchill Downs track in Louisville, Ky., for the first time yesterday morning in preparation for the Kentucky Derby while his owner and trainer issued strong denials of any wrongdoing by their jockey.

The inquiry was requested by the operators of the Oaklawn Park, where Valhol won last Saturday in a stunning upset for his first victory in only the third race of his career. They reported that a race track employee had found an electrical device on the track after the race, and asked the Arkansas State Racing Commission to investigate whether the jockey Billy Patin had used it to shock Valhol into running faster.

The commission in turn ordered the track to suspend distribution of the $500,000 purse for the race -- $300,000 would go to Valhol -- and Oaklawn's evidence was turned over to the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau, the investigative branch of the thoroughbred racing industry.

''If we didn't feel there was evidence, we wouldn't be having this meeting,'' said Cecil Alexander, chairman of the commission, at the meeting called to announce the action. ''We certainly hope to have this resolved before the Kentucky Derby because it is so important for racing.''

The Kentucky Derby will be run at Churchill Downs two weeks from today. If more than 20 horses are entered, which seems likely, the field will be reduced to the top 20 earners in graded stakes races. If Valhol does not have his $300,000 in prize money from the Arkansas Derby, he will be left with just $38,400 in stakes earnings and would be hard-pressed to qualify.

Valhol finished second in his debut in February and fourth in the Louisiana Derby in March before winning the Arkansas Derby.

His rider, Patin, an obscure jockey on the Louisiana circuit, had won 9 of 120 races this year. He traveled to Churchill Downs with the horse and the horse's trainer but made no comment on the matter.

''Billy told me he didn't do it, no way, no how,'' said the trainer, Dallas Keen. ''And I believe him. It's like a bad nightmare, but it's real.''

James Jackson, the Texas breeder who owns Valhol, said from Dallas, ''I think it's a witch hunt.'' He added: ''There is no wrongdoing at all. It's just professional jealousy.''

Jackson said he would take legal action if his horse was disqualified from the Kentucky Derby.

The use of batteries to enhance a horse's performance is nothing new to racing, but has never been detected in a major race.
    edited June 2009
    ohh thanks for the article it was a good read4 me
    crazy times back then with horse racing this quote here
    The use of batteries to enhance a horse's performance is nothing new to racing, but has never been detected in a major race.

reading the last sentence just shock me about what was being done
    just to win any race :eek: