Sea The Stars beats older horses in the Coral-Eclipse

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Defeat was out of the question for Sea The Stars as the dual Classic winner emulated Nashwan's 1989 exploits by adding the Coral-Eclipse Stakes at Sandown to his 2000 Guineas and Derby triumphs.

Only four horses during the last century, headed by Nashwan 20 years ago, have completed the hat-trick and John Oxx's 4-7 favourite added his name to the illustrious roll of honour.

After making his seasonal bow over a mile at Newmarket in the Guineas, the Cape Cross colt stepped up to a mile and a half to claim the blue riband at Epsom before successfully dropping back to 10 furlongs in Esher.

Heavy downpours in Ireland last weekend robbed Sea the Stars' home nation of the chance of seeing him in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby, but their loss was the gain of the London racegoers and they turned out in force to see a modern-day great.

Mick Kinane eased the odds-on favourite out for a run inside the final three furlongs and he quickened away from Aidan O'Brien's Rip Van Winkle when challenged to register his third success of the season.

The one-length victory proved too much for the winner's Hong Kong-based owner, Christopher Tsui, who fainted soon after his pride and joy passed the post, but recovered in time to collect the winning trophy.

Oxx was his usual calm self though, and said: "This is what keeps you working. It is such a relief as we have such a great opinion of the horse.

"It is very, very rare that you get a horse with all of the qualities.

"For 19 days out of 20, when you say 'what are you wasting your time for, training racehorses when you can do something easier' - these are the moments that keep you going.

"I knew there was a good run in Rip Van Winkle and I was just wondering if it would be today.

"Mick said he doesn't kill himself in front so I knew something would come at him, but I did like the way he stretched away when he was tackled.

"He can go any distance and tanks along early on - any speed he could follow and I don't think he has a best distance. He can do them all."

Bookmakers trimmed Sea The Stars at the head of the market for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, but the Paris showpiece is unlikely to figure on the winner's agenda.

Oxx added: "The Irish Champion Stakes is his major objective and we have to decide if he will run again before then.

"The King George and Juddmonte International are the two options. The King George is only three weeks away, but on the other hand it would give him a good break before Leopardstown, and he will only run in one of those two races.

"Although he is in the Arc, that isn't being seriously considered and the ground may well rule that out.

"The English Champion Stakes would come later on I guess, but nothing has been decided."

William Hill quote Sea The Stars at 5-1 to remain unbeaten throughout 2009, while offering him at 4-6 with a run for the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

Kinane was landing the Eclipse for the fourth time, and described his latest partner as "exceptional" before adding: "There will be more to come as he will get better as he matures.

"He is so quick out of the stalls with his pace and it was almost as if I hit the front too soon, but it was hard for me to stop him.

"When the second horse came at me, he just picked up. You are never going to win by more than two lengths on him, he just does enough.

"You don't get many like him, he has so much early pace it is unbelievable."

O'Brien was chasing his Eclipse success, and Rip Van Winkle closed the gap on Sea The Stars after finishing fourth to him in both the Guineas and Derby.

The Ballydoyle trainer said: "Jimmy (Fortune) just said when he came to challenge he was very green and babyish. He's only had a couple of competitive races and we're really happy with him.

"He's had loads of problems and he banged the inside of his hock a couple of days ago and we weren't sure if he would get here."

O'Brien was asked if he would be prepared to take on Sea The Stars again and added: "Why not? It was a great run and lets hope we get him back safely."

Last year's Ladbrokes St Leger and Breeders' Cup hero Conduit was well adrift in third, and Peter Reynolds of owners Ballymacoll Stud commented: "It was a very good run.

"He didn't really get the run of the race but was beaten by a very good horse. This guy is only getting going for the season."