Bridgmohan out 4-6 weeks after training accident

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Louisville Courier-Journal:

Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan will be sidelined 4-6 weeks after sustaining a compression fracture in a vertebrae when a 2-year-old he was working Monday morning at Churchill Downs broke down after the wire.

Bridgmohan, 30, also suffered a concussion and said he doesn't remember what happened.

He said by phone Tuesday that he was preparing to be released from Norton Audubon Hospital. He'll wear a body brace for at least a couple of weeks, after which he'll return to the hospital for a checkup and more X-rays.

It's not a great big fracture that I have, but there is one there," he said
Bridgmohan expects to race again for at least the last half of Saratoga's upcoming meet, which runs July 29 through Sept. 7.

Bridgmohan, who has been trainer Steve Asmussen's first-call rider for the past several years, won 41 races at the Churchill spring meet — finishing fifth in the riding standings.

The 2-year-old in Monday's accident, who was trained by Asmussen, suffered catastrophic injuries and was euthanized

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2009
    It'll be interesting to see who winds up on the live Asmussen firsters @ Saratoga now. I know a few years ago, Asmussen had a lot of success with Garret Gomez (particularly at the Keeneland meet), but i'm not sure if Gomez will be riding at Saratoga or Del Mar this year.