Rachel vs. Lady Zen inside info read inside

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Just got word today from a FG Source, that they have put a offer on the table for a race after the BC to feature Lady Zen and Rachel A. The money is there and they think this would be a good travel spot for both girls. I was told Jess Jackson has agreed but no word from the Cali connection, they really don' want to race Rachel A. I just wish they would say they are not leaving Cali anytime, I know they left for Oaklawn already, but you will never see Lady Zen run outside Cali ever again. This will make press soon.

fb

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Interesting, FB.

Are you talking about a match-race though? I can understand why Zenyatta's connections wouldn't be real happy with that, considering her pace disadvantage.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    No a full field race.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited July 2009
    Very interesting. Do you have an idea of when the race may take place or where it might be?
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited July 2009
    fb,
    There was another person on Steve Haskins most recent blog about RA and Zeyatta who said something about RA being assigned the high weight in the DE handicap. I thought weights were only assigned after the horse has commited to the race. Is it possible that the DE handicapp is the race the ppl put togeather?
    edited July 2009
    Danip wrote: »
    Very interesting. Do you have an idea of when the race may take place or where it might be?

Read the first post, I state it in there.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Read the first post, I state it in there.

i live about 3 minutes from oaklawn and it definitely the talk around here. i have heard of a possible 1.5 million dollar race. cella (owner of oaklawn) shelling out half a mil. oaklawn is the only track in the world that both horses have raced at and both have won. here is an article by an espn writer...

Comment Special to ESPN.com
    Bill Finley
    As the situation stands now, Jess Jackson hates "plastic" and Jerry Moss is reluctant to race outside of areas codes 310, 626 and 858, where all they have are "plastic" tracks. Unless something gives or someone budges, the dream match between Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra will never happen. That may be business as usual for a dysfunctional sport that doesn't seem to get much right, but it doesn't have to be that way. Someone needs to be bold and think outside the box and Jackson and Moss need to focus not just on their own self-interests but on coming together to do the right thing for this sport.

So, here's a proposal. It's a little different, but it will work if the two owners want it to work.

The showdown between Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra will take place at Oaklawn Park. (I know, I know, they only run in the spring. I'll get to that). Oaklawn's biggest asset in this case is its racing surface. It is, of course, dirt and not plastic, which means that Jackson shouldn't have any problems racing there. Better yet, it is the one racing surface that everyone can agree on -- both horses have raced at Oaklawn and won there. It is the only track in the world that both have competed over.

It is also a neutral site. Oaklawn Park is 1,388 miles from Saratoga, where Rachel Alexandra is stabled. It is 1,653 miles from Zenyatta's base at Hollywood Park. You can't get any fairer than that.

Still another plus, at least in this case, is the lack of a detention barn. While Belmont and Saratoga might seem like a logical place to have the two meet, Moss has said he wants to avoid racing out of the security barns that NYRA uses because he fears the unfamiliar surroundings might rile up Zenyatta.

The race will take place on Sept. 12, which is five weeks after Zenyatta's scheduled start in the Clement Hirsch at Del Mar and will likely be at least four weeks removed from Rachel's next start, wherever and whenever that may be. The timing also gives both horses plenty of time to prepare for the Breeders' Cup or, in Rachel Alexandra's case, another race somewhere else.

The weather? It should be perfect. The average temperature in September in Hot Springs is 74 degrees.

The purse will be $1.5 million. Oaklawn will put up $500,000 and Moss and Jackson will throw in a half million each. Two very wealthy men who really don't need the money, they will be allowed to prove not only that they are true sportsmen but true philanthropists. Both will agree to give their share of the purse to a charity of their choice. Jackson has already aligned himself with breast cancer research, a very worthy cause.

It will not be a match race. The Oaklawn team will work hard to get other horses into the race, which shouldn't be hard considering a purse of $1.5 million will be up for grabs. The Zenyatta team will be permitted to run a rabbit if they so choose. This will prevent Rachel Alexandra from being allowed to race alone on the lead, which would give her an unfair advantage.

Oaklawn is unparalleled when it comes to attracting on-track audiences. They routinely get crowds of 50,000-plus for the Arkansas Derby and, unlike many racetracks, would have no problem attracting a huge throng for a race of this magnitude.

Now the hard part: Oaklawn doesn't race in September. But neither do they have any competition that time of year. If Oaklawn owner Charles Cella was committed to the idea, he could make it happen. There's no reason why Oaklawn couldn't open up for just one day in the fall and Cella has the clout to get it done. With the amount of handle the day could generate, Oaklawn could likely make a healthy amount of money.

Run a four- or five-race card, highlighted by Zenyatta versus Rachel Alexandra in the Oaklawn Special, or whatever you want to call the race.

Is the idea too far outside the box? That's probably the way some will see it, but does anyone have a better idea? The only alternative is that they never meet, something no one wants to see happen. In Moss and Jackson, you also have two people who genuinely seem to care about the sport and might just decide to go for it.

This won't be easy to pull off, but it's far from impossible. Time is running out. All we need is for someone to pick up the phone and get the ball rolling. See you at Oaklawn.

Bill Finley is an award-winning racing writer whose work has appeared in The New York Times, USA Today and Sports Illustrated. Contact Bill at wnfinley@aol.com.
    edited July 2009
    I don't care where it takes place, Oaklawn or FG I just want to see it happen and I will be there in person when it goes down, if it does. I also have one of my best friends in Hot Springs and I will be on a Bird to Little Rock when this goes down or be a the Fairgrounds if it happens there.
    edited July 2009
    I would take you to a nice dinner because you have made me a winner too many times
    edited July 2009
    I would take you to a nice dinner because you have made me a winner too many times

I thought about you on the 4th of July, when I was on the phone with my buddy from Hot Springs, he called me and said are you back on Coal Play today, I told him I'm standing at the window waiting to collect and I wasn't disappointed as he ran then around the track at a very nice price at Monmouth. I told him I post some plays on a horse forum and one of the guys on the forum was from Hot Springs and cashed on Coal Play last time out with us. King I don't need a dinner just buy me some cold beers at the bar adjacent to Oaklawn Park, I cannot remember the name, but the year Lawyer Ron won the Ark. Derby I hade a big day at Keenland that day while I was there attending Ark Derby and got HAMMERED there, I remeber one of my big plays that day was Remarkable Storm on the weeds and another horse that ran second to Bernadini his first time out and ship to Keenland for his second start and won for fun. Horse racing memories are the best the good ones and the bad ones.

fb
    edited July 2009
    Yea longshots or crosswalk are both rockin during that time of the year. Is your friend on HW yet? I would like to meet him one day for a cold one
    edited July 2009
    He's not into forums, I know he lives in Hot Spings in a new Condo development about 2-3 years old. I have forgot the name of them. I will find out and the name of them for you and he is usually at the track OTB each weekend. I know he sits in some area where you have to pay a small fee for a membership. I will definitely be at Oaklawn next year either if Rahcel or Zen run. I will give you heads up when in route and exchange cell #'s.

fb
    edited July 2009
    Sounds good. Hopefully it will be this fall. I see the general manager pretty often and ill ask him about this possibility and if there is anything trying to be done behind the scenes