Sariska turns English Oaks/Irish Oaks double

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

Sariska, who outbattled Midday to win the Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-G1) in a thriller last month, secured a footnote in racing history on Sunday as she completed a classic double in winning the Darley Irish Oaks (Ire-G1) under wraps at the Curragh.

Lady Bamford’s homebred Pivotal filly was under a snug hold from jockey Jamie Spencer as she loped past pacesetter Roses For The Lady in the final furlong and coasted across the finish line for an authoritative three-length triumph.

Spencer looked to his right at jockey Fran Berry aboard Roses For The Lady as he cruised by on the winner on the outside nearing the finish line and gestured.

“Fran Berry is a good friend of mine and I gave him a little wave as I went past,” Spencer told England’s Press Association.

Sariska covered 1½ miles in 2:45.84 on soft turf to become the 12th filly to land the Epsom Oaks/Irish Oaks double, last accomplished by Alexandrova (Ire) in 2006.

“She was just far superior to them and she has to be very exciting to win a race like that without coming out of second gear,” Spencer said of Sariska.

"I did a piece of work on her last week and she went so well [trainer] Michael [Bell] and I both looked at each other and said it was not a question of whether she would win, but by how far.”

Roses For The Lady spurted from the gate and sprinted to a clear lead while Chirkova tracked from second. Spencer positioned Sariska near the back of the ten-horse field before advancing to midfield.

Midday, who finished a head behind Sariska in the Epsom Oaks on June 5, stalked the pacesetters and moved into third five furlongs out. Maiden winner Roses For The Lady, a 25-to-1 longshot, opened a sizeable lead on the home turn and momentarily appeared to have the stamina to continue on as Midday loomed a threat from second with three furlongs to run.

Sariska was fourth and traveling strongly and easily reeled in Midday, who did not quicken on the soft footing. Spencer let the reins out a notch and Sariska dispatched Roses For The Lady and won with supreme ease.

Roses For The Lady held on for second, 4½ lengths in front of Midday.

Sariska, who is out of the stakes-winning Muhtaraam mare Maycocks Bay, will be pointed to the Darley Yorkshire Oaks (Eng-G1) on August 20.