Quality Road confirmed on target for Amsterdam; Munnings to contest the Haskell

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

Edward Evans’ homebred Quality Road worked five furlongs in 1:01.41 July 17 at Belmont Park and is on track to make his first start in more than four months in the $150,000 Amsterdam (gr. II) at Saratoga on Aug. 3.

“He worked well this morning, and everything is on schedule for the Amsterdam,” said Pletcher of the 3-year-old Elusive Quality colt. The Amsterdam is at 6 1/2 furlongs on the main track.

Quality Road became one of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) early favorites after victories in the Feb. 28 Fountain of Youth (gr. II) and March 28 Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park for trainer Jimmy Jerkens, but then suffered a pair of quarter cracks that sidelined him just before the first leg of the Triple Crown. He was later transferred into Pletcher’s barn.

Quality Road, out of the Strawberry Road mare Kobla, has turned in four works since June – all at Belmont. His breeze on July 17 was the eighth best of 17 working at the distance. The bay colt broke his maiden at first asking last November at Aqueduct going the Amsterdam distance.
There was no word on where his next start after the Amsterdam could come.

Another of Pletchers’ top sophomores, Woody Stephens (gr. II) and Tom Fool (gr. II) winner Munnings, will breeze July 19 or 20 as he prepares for his next start in the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth Park Aug. 1, the trainer confirmed.

Among those Munnings is expected to face are Preakness (gr. I) winner Rachel Alexandra, Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Summer Bird and possibly, Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Papa Clem.

A son of Speightstown , Munnings has gone two turns just once in his seven-start career, that coming in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) last October at Santa Anita when finishing 10th.