Virginia Derby play from Discreet Picks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Colonial Downs - Race 11

#6 Straight Story (10/1 ml)

Son of Giant's Causeway came into the Colonial Turf Cup 2-for-2 on grass and nearly scored the upset over a far more accomplished field, despite getting hung out to dry on the turn for home as the pacesetter Al Khali blew the turn and took this guy with him. Despite losing considerable ground to the favorite Battle of Hastings (also entered here) who had slipped through inside to take a commanding lead in the stretch, Straight Story started coming again and ended up missing by just a head at the wire. Definitely should have won the race, all things being equal. He also demonstrated that today's 1 1/4-mile distance is very much within his realm, and after getting his feet wet vs. stakes types last time (over the same course, and at a similar distance), he looks ready to make a nice forward move here. Prime contender at an excellent price.

HRT record:

59 for 207 (29%)

$488.40 mutuels ($8.42 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Second by a nose @ 6/1.
    edited July 2009
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited July 2009
    I was also over this horse yesterday. I really like the horse and am still not sure it is going ot command the respect I think it deserves in the next out. What do you think?
    edited July 2009
    I would assume that he will, but i guess a lot will depend on where he turns up next.. Incidentally, the horse that bore out on him in the Colonial Turf Cup (Al Khali) ran second in the A Gift Stakes @ Belmont today.