Pletcher holding out hope that Quality Road can still make the Travers

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

Though Quality Road is slated to make his first start since late March in the 6 1/2-furlong Amsterdam Stakes at Saratoga on Aug. 3, trainer Todd Pletcher said the Grade 1, $1 million Travers at 1 1/4 miles on Aug. 29 remains the summer objective for the talented but troubled colt.

On Friday, Pletcher said that Quality Road's owner, Ed Evans, "would like to strongly consider the Travers if everything goes well. We'll see how this race goes and how he comes out of it and if we can prepare him the way we would like to, but the Travers is our main goal."

Quality Road has not run since winning the Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park on March 28. He was forced to miss the Triple Crown series because of chronic quarter cracks and was transferred from trainer Jimmy Jerkens to Pletcher in mid-June.

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    CAT-I hope pletcher can gets this horse ready---I think he would of been the premier horse if not for the hoof problem..had nice beyers and great breeding.....I'll be taking a long look...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2009
    NIce horse indeed, but a very tall order stretching out to 1 1/4 miles just three weeks after a single 6-furlong prep race. Especially when returning from an injury. Seems pretty far-fetched to me, but i guess stranger things have happened.