Handicapping - Your Suggestions on Where to Begin

shh10shh10 Senior Member
edited July 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Greetings All,

I been a member here for a few months and have enjoyed reading your posts and hearing of your results. Though not new to horseracing (who ever misses the big races such as the Triple Crown or Breeders' Cup; plus we have racing annually here at the Big Fresno Fair - he says tongue in cheek) I am very new to art of handicapping. I've been a bit timid to post anything prior to this as I feel I'm still too new to this exciting world and haven't really had anything important to contribute.

Having said that - I've picked up the book "Picking Winners" by Andrew Beyer and am trying to become familiar with the terms and how to read the DRF. I was wondering though if I may impose upon you all for your own personal top three (or top five) recommended reading/learning materials or courses. Are there key books, key websites, key periodicals to start with. Ones to stay away from or ones to definitely keep in your library?

I read in a previous thread where "Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steve Davidowitz and "Dave Litfin's Expert Handicapping" by Dave Litfin were recommended by DiscreetCat. Maybe we can come up with a consensus top three or five for new folks like me to start with when they join this forum. This way we're not bombarding you with a slew of questions such as "what's the difference between an exact box and a quinella"?

I understand that everyone has their own methods and I'm not wanting to put anyone on the spot so I'll understand if there are lack of replies.

If you haven't hit "Next Thread" already, I appreciate your time and any replies you have.

Cheers,
Strand

Comments

• laffingeyslaffingeys Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Nice post - judging by my results from the first couple of weeks here handicapping in the US .. I should rip up everything I know and start my learning from scratch ...

Books or websites that may help or point me/us in the right direction would also be appreciated here.

:)
  • bigga1bigga1 Member
    edited July 2009
    One of the best books i have read is winning thorouhbred strategies by Dick Mitchell.There are also other good authors ,which are also dynamite,such asTom Brohmer,Mark Cramer and James Quinn.If these guys cant teach you to become a good handicapper,nobody can.And on top of all of that a lot of commonsense goes a long way.

Good luck Make money and see you at the short line.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    I appreciate the responses. I hope that other members and future members can benefit from these resources as I'm sure I will.

laffingeys - sorry to hear about your latest results. It was my results on my paper betting that led me to my first post. I'm looking for some guidance and am willing to do the leg work to get where I'd like to be (though trade/track secrets and tips wouldn't be ignored). :shrr: Best of luck!
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    P.S. I'm happy to pass along anything good/useful I come across . . .

(wasn't able to edit above post)