Colonel John impressive winner in turf debut

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the North County Times:

DEL MAR ---- A star was born Friday, but he really was an old star trying something new.

Colonel John, who won the Santa Anita Derby (synthetic) and Travers Stakes (dirt) last year as a 3-year-old, made his 4-year-old debut in scintillating fashion on Friday, winning the Wickerr Stakes on the grass at a Del Mar.

That's right, the green stuff.

Colonel John ($6.80) had never raced on turf before Friday, and he might have a new home. The son of Tiznow covered a mile on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course in 1 minute, 32.77 seconds, just missing Three Valleys' course record of 1:32.21.

Trainer Eoin Harty was all smiles.

"That was a hell of a race," Harty said as he waited for Colonel John to return to the winner's circle. "Fast time."

Fast indeed.

"(Jockey Garrett Gomez) said he was getting a little tired toward the end," Harty said, "and I told him to look at the tote board and check the time.

"I always thought he could run on the turf. He has a terrific turn of foot in the morning.

"I didn't give Garrett any instructions (on how to ride). I left it in his hands, and if he got beat I could blame him. I thought Garrett might be moving too soon, but he proved me wrong."

Colonel John upped his career winning to more than $1.5 million and proved wrong anyone who thought he was only a main track horse.

Gomez said Colonel John didn't give him a big turn of foot in the turf workout earlier in the week, but it was a different story on Friday.

"He's one of those colts that's a long strider with a high cruising speed," said Gomez, who reached the winner's circle for only the third time at the meet, "and that's why I put him up in the race early on the backside. I knew he'd do well to stay close, and he did.

"He was all over with me out there. I was trying to ride him and he was in and out. I thought he was running well, and then I saw the time. He was really smoking."

Colonel John almost didn't make it back to the races this year after getting sick before the Santa Anita Handicap.

"I had a hard time getting him back," Harty said. "In fact, there were times I wasn't sure I could get him back. I'm really happy he's back."

Harty had planned on using the Wickerr as a prep for the Woodward Stakes in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Now he has to think about staying at Del Mar for the Del Mar Mile on Aug. 29.

"We might have to change plans," Harty said. "This certainly gives us a viable option now."