Steeplechase horse wins @ Saratoga today

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
I'm kinda proud of myself for picking this one. In my entire 15-year handicapping career, this is the first time i've ever backed a steeplechase horse. He won and paid $13.00. Obviously, this isn't something that comes along too often, but this one made a lot of sense, and was being listed @ 10/1 on the morning line. Definitely an angle to keep in mind for the future.

Btw, if any of you guys have Formulator (or whatever else might work), i'd still love to know what Sheppard's record is with steeplechase horses switching to a thoroughbred race.

Saratoga - Race 4

#3 Sermon of Love (10/1 ml)

Steeplechase horse for Hall of Fame trainer Jonathan Sheppard drops into a maiden race here, despite coming off a win, and he's also hit the board in a 3 stakes races. I guess steeplechase record don't count against your thoroughbred record. In any case, this horse holds a gigantic conditioning edge in this 1 1/2-mile race, which should seem like a walk in the park here after jumping over hurdles at distances as long as 3 miles. Particularly when you consider he's getting a 20-pount weight break today. He's also performed well on soft turf courses, and of course it's been wet in Saratoga all week with several races coming off the grass. I'm also encouraged by the quick 5 furlong workout he had last Wednesday, and it's worth noting that Sheppard's Breeders Cup winner Forever Together also worked 5 furlongs over the same course last Wednesday, prior to her winning the Grade 1 Diana Handicap on Saturday. This horse looks very live from where i'm sitting, and he wouldn't be the first steeplechase horse to win a flat race at Saratoga. Wish i knew what Sheppard's record was with this type, but considering he's the all-time steeplechase money winner, and is also a noted thoroughbred trainer (hitting at 21% this year), i'm guessing he's pulled it off before.