Trainer Richard Violette comments on Bulls and Bears

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

Trainer Rick Violette had every reason to still be frustrated over the fifth-place finish by Bulls and Bears in Thursday's Grade 2 Sanford Stakes. After all, the promising 2-year-old conceded his opposition about six lengths following an eventful start before rallying under Alan Garcia to finish just over a length behind race winner Backtalk.

"That was just brutal," Violette said. "He went into the air at the start, stumbled, and then ducked to the right, at which point Alan half lost an iron. He did just about everything after the break but turn around and go the other way."

Even with the unlucky beginning, Bulls and Bears recovered to move within easy striking distances of the leaders at the head of the stretch before ducking in again to lose his last chance.

"I liked the way he regrouped and didn't rush back into contention after the bad start," said Violette. "He got there under his own terms but then dove to the left when Alan hit him. He was very professional in his first start, but he's still a little green. He received a real education in the Sanford. Unfortunately it was too good an education."

Violette said it appears Bulls and Bears Came out of the Sanford in good order.

Violette said he'd likely point Bulls and Bears for the Grade 1 Hopeful on Sept. 7, closing day of the meet. He's also got the undefeated 2-year-old Not Macho Any More for the Saratoga Special on Aug. 20.

"Bulls and Bears was supposed to be in the winner's circle after the Sanford and I have high hopes for Not Macho as well," said Violette. "If he turns out to be as good as Bulls and Bears, we'll be very happy."

Comments

• SobrenaturSobrenatur Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    DC he did lose his iron thats what i thought i said in a previous thread..did you look at the race again?By hte way go take a look at SING THE SONGS RACE SUNDAY<<horses to watch at the spa