Speculation that Zenyatta could face males in the Pacific Classic

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Inside Horse Racing:

Zenyatta's connections have taken a lot of heat both from the media and bloggers for keeping their unbeaten 5-year-old mare home in California for the most part and continuing to run her within her own division when she's already proved she's head and shoulders above the other fillies and mares in California.

Whereas Rachel Alexandra's camp has taken two huge leaps outside the lines by tackling boys in both the Preakness Stakes and Haskell Invitational, Zenyatta has not raced against males once in 11 lifetime races and has raced outside of California only one time in arguably her most powerful score -- last year's Apple Blossom Handicap at Oaklawn Park when she easily beat reigning older female champion Ginger Punch on dirt.

But if you listened carefully to owner Jerry Moss on a teleconference earlier this week, you came away with the feeling that after Sunday's Clement L. Hirsch Stakes at Del Mar when Zenyatta will be heavily favored to run her perfect record to 12-0, the 5-year-old daughter of Street Cry's camp is ready to shake it up a little bit.

"I think last year we went from the Clement Hirsch to the Lady's Secret," Moss said. "I'm not sure we'll do that this year. Again, it depends on her, but we'll talk about it. We have time for another race between (the Clement Hirsch and Breeders' Cup), and we'll just have to figure it out."

Perhaps the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar on Sept. 6?

"At this stage of the game, everything is a possibility," Moss said. "But it really depends on how John (trainer John Shirreffs) is also feeling about that track down there. It's very troublesome because it's not the same track every year. So we're just hoping everything works out OK."

If Zenyatta runs well and appears to like Del Mar's Polytrack surface, I think there's a better than 50-50 chance she'll run in the Pacific Classic. If not, perhaps the Woodward at Belmont on Sept. 5, a destination that could bring her face to face with Rachel Alexandra.

Although neither Moss nor Shirreffs is a big fan of the NYRA's holding barns, where horses must spend hours before their races, it is a possibility, however remote.

"We don't think it's fair to a horse that's traveled 3,000 miles to have to move twice," Moss said. "That's really putting a lot of stress on a horse, and I know John feels very strongly about it and I do too. I just don't think it's fair."

Does that mean Zenyatta will not be racing in New York anytime soon?

"It's not a welcoming mat, if you know what I'm saying," Moss said.

Of course, if not the Pacific Classic or Woodward, how about the Goodwood Handicap against the males during the Oak Tree meet? It would be a perfect tune-up for the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic. The only way Zenyatta can win Horse of the Year now is if she beats the boys at least once and defeats Rachel Alexandra head to head, or defeats the males twice without squaring off against the fabulous 3-year-old filly.

Whatever, I believe Zenyatta's folks realize they've got to get bold if they want Horse of the Year, which they do. They rightfully believe they should have won it last year, but this year they're behind and have a lot of catching up to do.

I think we're about to discover just how special Zenyatta is in these next couple of months. It's just a gut feeling, but stay tuned. This Horse of the Year chase could get a lot more interesting in the coming weeks.