Trainer and Jockey Quotes from the Bing Crosby Handicap (Zensational)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Del Mar website:

VICTOR ESPINOZA (Zensational) – “He broke sharp, but then he seemed a little confused. But I shook him and gave him his head and he took off. He’s fast. There’s no doubt about that. Around the turn, near the middle of it, I took a little hold on him. I don’t want him to go around there too fast. But then we straightened out and he ran again. He’s something. If I let him, this horse would run a :20 (quarter mile). He’s that fast. I’ve ridden some very fast horses. But this horse – just as a sprinter – he’s something. He’s special.”

TYLER BAZE (Talkin to Mom Roo) – “I was hoping Delta Storm would hook that horse; engage him. That would have made my job easier. But he (Talkin to Mom Roo) tried. He tried hard. And he’ll be better when they go farther.”

COREY NAKATANI (Global Hunter) – “The seven-eighths race (a reference to the Grade I Pat O’Brien Stakes on Sunday, September 6); we’ll take ‘em on in the seven-eighths. He ran great. Coming back off that grass race (winning race in the Grade I Eddie Read Stakes at nine furlongs July 25), this is a great effort. And he’ll be dangerous at seven-eighths.”

JOEL ROSARIO (Delta Storm) – “I tried to lay up close in second but that other horse (Zensational) is just too fast. He’s something. He’s a really nice horse. But my horse did his best. It just wasn’t his day.”

KYLE KAENEL (Hurry Up Austin) – “My horse tried. It’s a long time since he ran and this is a pretty nice group.”

BOB BAFFERT (Zensational) -- “The last time I won this it was with a gray horse and you know what happened after that. It was Thirty Slews [and he went on to win the Breeders’ Cup Sprint]. He [Zensational] broke a little tardy and Victor said he seemed to be a little confused. But then he got settled. I’ve never had a horse with this kind of speed. He’s a freaky kind of animal. He’s getting more mature and growing up more every day. He used to get a little hot in the paddock, but he’s got that under control now. I’m going to keep him here in California and get him just right for the Breeders’ Cup [Sprint].”

FRACTIONS: :22.02 :44.50 :56.32 1:08.57