Zenyatta race

RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Boy was that exciting....

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    It's been a year since she cut it that close. Definitely not her best work today, but i guess you can't argue with success. Probably won't help in steering her towards the Pacific Classic, though.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited August 2009
    In her defense, the pace looked real slow. She was wide. New track. Time off. Maybe stretching but she had excuses for not giving a best effort.
    edited August 2009
    The pace was indeed slow, and that didn't help. True she came wide around the turn, but she's been doing that her entire career. I've see every one of Zenyatta's races, and she just wasn't her usual self today.

As mentioned in the other thread, she's been known to run a sub-par race (by her standards) and then bounce back strongly next time out. I don't really think it was a surface issue because she ran huge @ Del Mar last year, one of her better efforts in fact. I'd still like to see her face males (actually i guess i wouldn't, because i have a couple of Classic futures on males right now), and maybe she will, but her connections have been SO conservative up to this point that i think today's near-loss might keep them from taking any additional risks.

In fact, i think the only reason they've been hinting about it recently is because they're jealous of all the adulation Rachel Alexandra has received since the Preakness.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited August 2009
    I didn't pay attention, but was told speed had been holding well today at Del Mar. Would be fun to see her go against males. She certainly is big enough.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    I will be real suprised if they run her against the boys, they want her to retire with zero losses.
    edited August 2009
    You're right, physically it's not even an issue. I think they should have run her in the Classic last year, but that's just me.
  • SobrenaturSobrenatur Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    DC can Zenyatta if needed change her running style...for example if she does get the showdown between her and RA can Sheriffs train her to stay closer to the pace..