Who do you think are the best mud sires

hardspunhardspun Junior Member
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
I was just wondering who you all think are the best mud sires out there. I see a lot of Relaunch and Storm Cat thrown around as two of the best. I like Relaunch a lot. I also hear that Broad Bush is another good one. All comments welcome.

Thanks Adam

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Those three were always rated very highly, though i haven't seen any Relaunch horses in quite a while. If you look at the PP's in the Racing Form, over on the right-hand side there's a category for "Wet", and in parentheses next to that is shows the sire's Tomlinson mud number.
  • hardspunhardspun Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    Are the Tomlinson numbers really good to go by or is it another number system made up by some random know it all? I do read them though and have made some good hits on them as well, but I'm allways sketchy on someones so called system of numbers and such.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Your guess is as good as mine. It's nice to have a good mud number (or good mud breeding in general) when it comes to off-track races, but the fact is that you never really know until they do it. And not every muddy track is the same, either.

A good rule of thumb is to go with frontrunners in sloppy track races, because they're not the ones getting mud kicked in their face. Also, the main track is often "sealed" when rain is expected, and sealed tracks are known to carry speed better.
  • hardspunhardspun Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    Cool thanks DC.