List of potential targets for Rachel Alexandra

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Brisnet:

Three-year-old filly star RACHEL ALEXANDRA (Medaglia d'Oro) turned in her first serious move since beating the boys again in the August 2 Haskell Invitational (G1) when breezing four furlongs in :50.72 over the fast Oklahoma training track in Saratoga on Tuesday. With exercise rider Dominic Terry up, the classic winner stepped onto the track at about 6 a.m. (EDT) with a host of onlookers watching, and NYRA clockers caught the bay lass in splits of :13.50 and :26.22, galloping out five furlongs in 1:04.44.

"It was very Rachel-esque," trainer Steve Asmussen said. "She did it very effortlessly, she was very comfortable, and happy when she came home."

Four Grade 1 races at Saratoga Race Course are among the possibilities being considered for Rachel Alexandra's next start. Two are against females -- the $600,000 Alabama S. for three-year-old fillies on August 22 and the $400,000 Personal Ensign S. against fillies and mares on August 30, and two are against males -- the $1 million Travers (G1) for three-year-olds on August 29, and the $500,000 Woodward for three-year-olds and up on September 5. She will also be nominated to the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby (G2) on September 7.

"I do think I am smart enough to watch instead of decide at this stage," Asmussen explained. "I want to do the right thing; we won't kid ourselves."

Another factor in the decision-making process is that co-owner Jess Jackson is also the owner of the rising three-year-old colt KENSEI (Mr. Greeley), an impressive winner of the Jim Dandy (G2), the traditional prep for the Travers. Asmussen said previously that he doesn't envision running the two sophomores against each other.

Kensei zipped a half-mile in :48.22 over the good main track at Saratoga on Monday.

"There were a lot of witnesses to Kensei breezing yesterday and Rachel working today," Asmussen said. “I feel like we're still in a great position.

"Jess Jackson, (Jackson's wife) Barbara (Banke), (racing advisor) John Moynihan, myself and (assistant) Scott (Blasi) decided to go ahead nominate her to five races and let her train for a couple of weeks,' the conditioner added. "With Kensei in the barn as well, and how well he's run lately, see how he does as well. We'll try to do what's best for both horses. We'll do what we think is best for Rachel. She is the queen right now and we are very proud of what she's done."

If she opts for the Travers, Rachel Alexandra will meet a trio of heavyweights in the three-year-old male division. She's already beaten Kentucky Derby (G1) winner MINE THAT BIRD (Birdstone), winning the Preakness S. (G1) by a one-length margin, and she exits a six-length decision over Belmont S. (G1) king SUMMER BIRD (Birdstone) in the Haskell. She's never faced QUALITY ROAD (Elusive Quality), who is also at Saratoga training toward an appearance in the 1 1/4-mile "Mid-Summer Derby." Sidelined following a track record-setting victory in the Florida Derby (G1), the once-beaten Quality Road established a new track mark when returning to the races with a sharp victory in the August 3 Amsterdam S. (G2) at the Spa.

Rachel Alexandra will bring an eight-race winning streak into her next start. Seven for seven this year, she has won 10 of her 13 lifetime starts and earned $2,498,354.