Rachel isn't the only filly who can beat colts...Goldikova destroys males again

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Freddie Head was in no doubt about the best horse he has trained after star filly Goldikova confirmed herself a world-beater with a sixth Group One success in the Prix Jacques le Marios at Deauville on Sunday.

Once Zarkava was shuttled off to the breeding sheds last autumn, the way was clear for Goldikova to pick up her mantle as the number one lady around - and the sublime four-year-old has done so in an astonishing manner.

Having beaten the colts in the Breeders' Cup Mile last year, she has shrugged off a disappointing seasonal bow to capture the Falmouth, Prix Rothschild and now the Marios.

However, it was the awesome manner of her success that had jaws dropping on the Normandy coast.

The filly proved reluctant to enter the stalls, and the team at the gate who coaxed her forward received a hearty round of applause once she was safely locked away.

Her pacemaker, Only Green, found the competition too hot and dropped away earlier than expected, leaving Goldikova exposed to the elements.

That did not faze her, and Olivier Peslier allowed the odds-on favourite to assume control a little after halfway.

She was still travelling with plenty in hand when starting to assert, while top-class opposition in Aqlaam, Virtual, Gladiatorus, Never On Sunday and Silver Frost were all being asked questions from the saddle.

Goldikova stretched away in an effortless manner and majestically strode along the stands rail for a career-best performance - winning her third Group One of 2009 by a stunning six lengths in a record time.

Head, who won the race six times as a jockey and also saddled Tamayuz to success 12 months ago, said: "She has run as fast as she can and it is great - what more can I say? It is unbelievable.

"My other runner didn't have enough gas to make the pace so she had to come early, but she can do anything. She has never liked the stalls since the beginning, and is a little bit naughty at them, but that is her only bad point.

"We need to discuss where she goes, but I am favouring bypassing the Moulin and going for the Prix de la Foret (October 3). The Breeders' Cup is now in November, so is later this year and it will be hard for her to keep her form.

"I want to give her a little rest, and the Foret fits in well before the Breeders' Cup. She might make it look easy but she has still had a race."

Head enjoyed a fantastic partnership with the mighty Miesque in his riding days, but he added: "I would say she is better than Miesque as she is better in her head, and Miesque used to pull very hard.

"Marchand d'Or is very good and is a champion, but she has to be the very best I have trained, she is something else."

Aqlaam continues to thrive with each run after his return from injury, and his trainer William Haggas was far from despondent with a second-place finish to Goldikova.

He said: "I am very pleased with him and while I'm not sure how far clear of the third he was, it was certainly a long way (five lengths).

"He has run another good, solid race and is coming forward all the time. He stayed on really well and is getting better and better, although I've no idea where we will go next."

Virtual took third place for John Gosden, and he was in no doubt about what racegoers in Deauville had just witnessed.

He said: "The winner is the best in the world and to finish third to her is an honour.

"He is a big horse by Pivotal so he is better on good ground. I will head to the QEII at Ascot now."

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    Hope we get to see her again this year at S.A., this girl can flat out run on the weeds.

fb