Sea The Stars wins again

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Praise from weighing room veteran Mick Kinane is praise indeed and there is no doubting Sea The Star's place in his affections after the Irish wonder rattled off his fourth Group One success in the Juddmonte International Stakes at York.

The 50-year-old jockey has been associated with many greats during his time in the saddle, and the likes of Montjeu, Giant's Causeway, High Chaparral and Galileo have all had assistance from the 13-times Irish champion.

But it is John Oxx's colt who has Kinane gushing after his six straight wins.

The 1-4 favourite scared off the opposition to the extent that he faced just three rivals in the £600,00 event, all of which hailed from the powerful Aidan O'Brien yard.

Kinane was happy to track the pacemakers and followed Johnny Murtagh's every move aboard Irish 2000 Guineas and St James's Palace Stakes winner Mastercratfsman, his only serious threat.

When Murtagh struck for home at the two-furlong marker, Sea The Stars appeared to flounder for a few seconds and a huge reputation was set to be dented.

But Sea The Stars hit top gear and pulled back Mastercraftsman to snatch the lead inside the distance and score by a length in a new course record.

Oxx said: "I was always concerned with it being a small field, but thankfully it was a straightforward race.

"The pacemakers did their job and it was a great result for us.

"Mastercraftsman really ran home well and put it up to him. I was worried about him as he is a good horse and has always looked to me as if he would be better at a mile and a quarter than a mile.

"Two furlongs out I wondered how far he (Sea The Stars) would win as he was coasting along, but he had to struggle for a while as the other horse dug deep and found a bit.

"He won handily enough in the end and Mick only had to give him a couple of smacks.

"Mick always says to me that he will never win by more than a length and will never win spectacularly at all.

"The race worked out in the way that would have been our first choice, and I think Aidan's plan was to run the race to suit Mastercraftsman and that's what happened as the horse ran the race of his life.

"Today Sea The Stars powered through the gap when it appeared. He quickened to go through and then Mick took a pull as he was going so well. When he took a pull the horse switched off and Mastercraftsman quickened up.

"So long as the ground is quick, the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown (September 5) is his next race and that will be his only race in Ireland this year."

Kinane added: "He won well in the finish, and Johnny's horse put in a good performance.

"We were going as when my fellow is not pulling and not taking a swing then we must be travelling.

"I was happy we were going that sort of pace and to win again is always a relief as we expect so much of him.

"We are all so wrapped up with the horse and are fortunate to have him.

"The last couple of years I have been searching for a good horse, and then suddenly a great one comes along in the twilight of my life, and it is a privilege.

"He is the best horse I have ridden, and I have ridden some great ones."

Looking ahead to Leopardstown, where he is poised to clash with O'Brien's Fame And Glory, Kinane added: "I think we left a little bit there (to work on), we got away with it nicely and I think he will improve going to Leopardstown."

Delighted winning owner Christopher Tsui had flown in from Hong Kong for the race, and he said: "I'm feeling great and it's just unbelievable. There are no words to describe that.

"It did look in doubt for a second, but I saw Mick and he was just waiting and waiting for the right moment. It was just unbelievable to watch.

"The Irish Champion Stakes is next, and we will all have to discuss where he goes after that.

"The ground will dictate where he goes and everything is possible."

Paddy Power make Sea The Stars the 1-2 favourite for the Irish Champion Stakes, while Coral trimmed him into 4-1 from 5s to emulate his dam Urban Sea with victory in the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

Mastercraftsman was far from disgraced on his first crack at a mile and quarter, with part-owner Derick Smith nominating the Breeders' Cup Classic as a possible target.

O'Brien said: "This fellow loves to get into a battle, but Mick rode a brilliant race on Sea The Stars. It was a great race and the winner is a great horse.

"He's not short on speed, our fellow, but he can run either over a mile or a mile and a quarter. I'm not sure where he will go now - all options are open to him."

Murtagh, however, was handed a four-day ban (September 1-4) for excessive use of his whip.

Comments

• randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    hi-do you have any plays for today at saratoga or delmar

thanks-ill pay