Saratoga Special play from Discreet Picks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Saratoga - Race 9

#3 Zip Quik (4/1 ml)

Very nice colt here for Biancone, one of the more logical candidates for the BC Juvenile that i've seen so far. We backed him in the Hollywood Juvenile last time out, and he ran quite well, but was really up against it from a pace standpoint as the exceptionally quick filly Necessary Evil was able to jump out on an uncontested lead, and had plenty of gas left in the tank for the final furlong. Zip Quik came running at her late though, and note that he turned the tables on stakes winner Classical Slew in the process. Picks up first-time Lasix here and gets an extra half-furlong to work with, but more importantly he looks to be the beneficiary of a hot pace this time. If he takes to the dirt here (and Biancone must think he will, or he wouldn't have shipped him to New York), then he should be pretty tough to deny in the lane. Worth mentioning that Biancone scored a big win a couple of years ago with a filly named Irish Smoke who shipped into Saratoga for the Grade 1 Spinaway, with today's rider Leparoux aboard.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Zip Quik went off @ 7/2 and ran second.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    i didnt even know who ran second cause they were so far back....it was a one horse race exiting the far turn...good performance from the dutrow colt...
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    Hard to win um with out the Venom.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    well the question is what dutrow put in his colt...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Looked to me as if Zip Quik might've been having a problem with the surface (which looked pretty dark and clearly had a lot of moisture in it). He never looked comfortable from the opening bell, and looked to be spinning his wheels for the most part. The Dutrow horse did run great though; he might not have beaten that one regardless.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    I was on Zip Quik yesterday, and he is a turn around play back on the sticky stuff. He didn't handle the surface at all.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited August 2009
    First impression i was impressed, but when you look at the time, and consider that Worstcasesenario ran about four fifths of a second faster, only a day before hand, it makes you wonder about the quality of the field. Plus, the final 2.5 furlongs was run in over 32 seconds, and the half to the 3/4's in almost 26 seconds, telling me the rest of the field pretty much hit the wall and were backing up, possibly making D'funnybone look better than he really was. Also consider Backtalks last time going 6 furlongs was run in 1.10.07, which was faster than the 6 furlong split in the Saratoga Special. I'm not sold on this colt yet.