Rail Trip works well for the Pacific Classic

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Brisnet:

Hollywood Gold Cup (G1) hero RAIL TRIP (Jump Start) was the marquee name among a quartet of horses posting Sunday works in advance of the September 6 Pacific Classic (G1). Completing the gang of four were TRES BORRACHOS (Ecton Park), INFORMED (Tiznow) and SONG OF NAVARONE (Sultry Song).

Rail Trip traveled one mile in 1:39 over Del Mar's Polytrack, a work that left trainer Ron Ellis smiling.

"It was really a nice move," Ellis said. "He showed a lot of energy and pulled up like he hadn't even been out."

With regular rider Jose Valdivia Jr. aboard, Rail Trip was caught in fractions of :12 2/5, :25, :37 2/5, :49 3/5, 1:02, 1:14 1/5 and 1:26 3/5.

Ellis said that Rail Trip would have his final pre-Pacific Classic work, another mile, next Sunday, again with Valdivia in the irons.

Also at Del Mar, Californian S. (G2) and San Diego H. (G2) winner Informed turned in what was called "a maintenance work" by Dennis O'Neill, trainer Doug O'Neill's brother.

Recording his first move since his photo-finish coup in the August 2 San Diego, Informed covered five furlongs in 1:02 1/5.

"It was a lung opener, and he galloped out great," said O'Neill, who was deputizing for his brother who was not on hand after arriving late Saturday from a race in Canada. "We'll get more serious next week."

Just prior to the Rail Trip move, Walther Solis sent out Song of Navarone for a drill that the trainer termed "perfect."

A five-time stakes winner who was most recently third in the San Diego, Song of Navarone negotiated five-eighths in 1:01 3/5 with rider Joel Rosario in the saddle.

Solis said that his charge galloped out strong and would put in his final move in "an easy half-mile" next Sunday.

At Santa Anita, trainer Beau Greely reacted in a like manner as Tres Borrachos buzzed through five Pro-Ride furlongs in 1:02 3/5.

"It was a very good work," Greely said from his Arcadia, California, base. "I caught him going out six furlongs in 1:14 and change, so it was the kind of work we wanted. It set him up just right."

Grade 2 scorer Tres Borrachos was most recently runner-up to Rail Trip in the Hollywood Gold Cup.

Greely said he would ship the four-year-old gelding to Del Mar probably on Thursday and be on the track to train on Friday morning, with a final Pacific Classic workout on Monday. He said he might have regular rider Joe Talamo for that drill.

In other Pacific Classic news:

Scheduled to work at Del Mar on Monday is MAST TRACK (Mizzen Mast), last year's Hollywood Gold Cup winner who was just caught by Informed in the San Diego last time out. Eddie Read (G1) upsetter GLOBAL HUNTER (Arg) (Jade Hunter), multiple Grade 1 veteran COLONEL JOHN (Tiznow) and Swaps S. (G2) victor MISREMEMBERED (Candy Ride [Arg]) are expected to post moves later in the week.

Nominations for the Pacific Classic close Wednesday, and a number of other horses are under consideration for Del Mar's signature event. Two are exiting races on dirt -- Grade 2 scorer AWESOME GEM (Awesome Again), who exits a runner-up effort in the Longacres Mile (G3) and would be making his third appearance in the Pacific Classic, and BULLSBAY (Tiznow), winner of the Whitney H. (G1) last time out at Saratoga.

Three others are contemplating a switch from turf: multiple Grade 2 victor COWBOY CAL (Giant's Causeway), who comes off a third in the Fourstardave (G2) at Saratoga; Secretariat S. (G1) winner TAKE THE POINTS (Even the Score); and turf star GIO PONTI (Tale of the Cat), who racked up his fourth straight Grade 1 title in the Arlington Million (G1).

Comments

• DanipDanip Member
    edited August 2009
    I really like this colt, but i like CJ too. The Pacific Classic is going to be loaded, considering you have CJ, RT, and Einstein heading the field.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I was really of the opinion that Colonel John would stay on grass and point for the Breeders Cup Mile. Could still go in that direction, but I was surprised when I heard that they'd chosen the Pacific Classic over the Del Mar Mile. I wonder if Goldikova has had any influence in their decision. She looks very formidable. In fact, the last time I was in the Wynn, they were listing her at 8/5 to win the BC Mile. Colonel John was being listed at 20/1.

Rail Trip is listed at 25/1 to win the Classic, btw.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited August 2009
    If i could bet i would take those odds on rail trip as of now. His win in the Gold Cup fantastic. Do you know if Tres Borachos is being pointed to the mile or the Classic? He was a good second in the Gold Cup to RT that day. Well at least this year we have a bunch of very good synthetic horses to keep the Euro's at bay.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2009
    My guess would be the BC Dirt Mile (kind of a funny name when the race is being run on synthetic), but i haven't heard anything.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited August 2009
    Yes, i also think calling a race the dirt mile, when it's run over synthetics is kind of senseless too.