Jockey John Velazquez comments on Quality Road's loss in the Travers

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Albany Times-Union:

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Jockey John Velazquez missed winning his second Travers Stakes. On the 3-2 favorite, no less.

Yet when Velazquez emerged from the jockeys' room after changing into a tieless suit, he insisted he harbored no disappointment in Quality Road, who ran third in the Midsummer Derby.

The bettors put their money on the talented brown colt despite doubts whether he could handle the 11/4-mile race with only one sprint, the Amsterdam, under his belt in the previous five months.

Those concerns turned out to be well-founded, exactly why Velazquez seemed upbeat after the race.

"That's the whole point of today," Velazquez said. "Going from 61/2 (furlongs) to a mile and a quarter, that's a lot to ask from a horse. All the things he went through, to run the way he ran today, I'm very proud of the way he ran."

Velazquez said the trouble began when Quality Road broke from the No. 4 spot and got wedged between Warrior's Reward on his inside and Our Edge on his outside.

After freeing himself from that vise, Quality Road was hemmed inside on the sloppy track. He ran in fourth place on the backstretch, behind pacesetter Our Edge, Kensei and Summer Bird.

Quality Road never showed the form that produced track records in the Amsterdam at the Spa on Aug. 3 and in the 11/8-mile Florida Derby on March 28 before hoof problems derailed his Kentucky Derby hopes.

"He didn't break very good and I got caught up inside," Velazquez said of the Travers trip. "I thought he handled it pretty good from where he was. I thought he ran a really good race. Unfortunately, he just got a little tired on the lane."

Quality Road managed to split the fading Kensei and Warrior's Reward in the stretch. However, he couldn't catch the eventual winner Summer Bird and couldn't hold off 17-1 shot Hold Me Back for second.

"I have a lot of respect for Quality Road and a lot of respect for my horse," winning trainer Tim Ice said.

Trainer Todd Pletcher, also denied his second Travers, echoed his jockey's sentiments about Quality Road.

"He ran well," Pletcher said as he walked out from under the box seats. "I thought, considering everything, he ran a big race. Hopefully he comes out of it well and we build on that."

Quality Road had never run on an off track in five previous starts. However, Pletcher said he was told by Velazquez the horse handled the surface well.

Quality Road was difficult before the race. He bucked while being loaded into the gate and Velazquez had to jump off briefly.

"That's his normal routine," Pletcher said. "He usually balks and kicks out. Johnny kind of lost his balance but it had no factor."

Velazquez assured better days ahead for Quality Road.

"I can't be disappointed with him," he said. "He didn't win today, but I think he'll come back well and you haven't seen enough of this horse. From this race on, if he stays sound, he'll probably be the best horse. He'll prove me right."