Colonel John installed as the favorite for Sunday's Pacific Classic

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

West coast star Colonel John and eastern-based Einstein head a field of 12 named to run in Del Mar's $1 million Pacific Classic (gr. I) on Sept. 6. The race is the highlight of a Labor Day weekend stakes bonanza at the seaside oval that features 11 black-type races.

At the gala draw ceremony for the 19th running of the Classic held at L'Auberge Inn in downtown Del Mar on the night of Sept. 2, Colonel John, last year's Travers and Santa Anita Derby (both gr. I) winner who races for WinStar Farm, drew post 6 and the role of morning line favorite at 5-2.

Next on the betting line was Einstein, the 7-year-old Brazilian-bred who has won stakes on dirt, grass and synthetic surfaces from coast to coast. The veteran, who was purchased just this week by racing mogul Frank Stronach for an undisclosed sum, was listed as the 7-2 second choice and will break from post 10.

Third choice, pegged at 4-1, is Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) victor Rail Trip.

The Pacific Classic is a 1 1/4-mile test for 3-year-olds and up on Del Mar's Polytrack surface. It will be run as the 9th race on an 11-race card that begins with an early 1 p.m. first post.

All horses in the race carry 124 pounds, with the exception of the lone 3-year-old in the lineup -- Baffert and Jacobs' Misremembered -- who will tote 118.

Here's the field for the race from the rail out with riders and morning line odds:

1. Informed, T. Baze, 10/1
2. Song of Navarone, J. Rosario, 20/1
3. Rail Trip, J. Valdivia, Jr., 4/1
4. Richard's Kid, M. Smith, 15/1
5. Mast Track, D. Flores, 15/1
6. Colonel John, G. Gomez, 5/2
7. Misremembered, V. Espinoza, 12/1
8. Global Hunter, C. Nakatani, 20/1
9. Tres Borrachos, J. Talamo, 20/1
10. Einstein, J. Leparoux, 7/2
11. Parading, R. Bejarano, 10/1
12. Awesome Gem, A. Solis, 12/1