Friday play from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Huge card for me @ Del Mar today, as i actually have 6 plays going. I don't ever remember having that many on a weekday before. This is probably one of the stronger picks, though obviously i like them all...

Del Mar - Race 8

#8 Carlsbad (9/5 ml)

I hesitated a bit to give this one out with the short morning line, but i don't think she'll be overbet here with a whole lot of attention sure to be focused on the multiple graded-stakes winner Evita Argentine (the subject of an article on the cover of today's Racing Form). With the exception of the Baffert trainee Moon de French, there looks to be no speed at all here to challenge the exceptionally quick Carlsbad early, and trainer Jeff Mullins even makes note of that in the above-mention DRF article. And even if Moon de French does choose to engage Carlsbad early (which i kinda doubt), Carslbad is drawn comfortably to that one's inside. I'm not normally a fan of horses going route-to-sprint (as the two-turn races tend to dull their speed), but that doesn't look to bea problem here as Carlsbad set ridiculously fast early splits in the one-mile San Clemente, and besides that she's already won on the turnback from a route back on March 29 @ Santa Anita (in her second start off the layoff btw, same as today). She also figures to be fit as a fiddle coming off those two straight routes, and her best-of-43 bullet workout last week seems to indicate her readiness for this event. Just a very fast, classy horse here, who figures to be helped by the pace scenario. Should be plenty tough.

HRT record:

60 for 216 (28%)

$516.40 mutuels ($8.61 avg)

Comments

• BackSide70BackSide70 Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    You know they ran her in a route because they are afraid she will get caught in last 1/2F[6 1/2F]. We shall see.
    Few horses can last 2 turns with a 43 half...
    What am I saying never seen the horse run??
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Carlsbad pays $4.80 to win, while setting a new track record...