Joel Rosario (and his agent) under investigation by the CHRB

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

Joel Rosario, the leading rider at Del Mar, has had a complaint filed against him by the California Horse Racing Board alleging he "did not put forward his best effort riding his horse to the finish line" in the final race at Del Mar on Sept. 6.

A hearing, originally scheduled for Wednesday at Fairplex Park, has been postponed until Oct. 2 at Santa Anita, Rosario's agent, Vic Stauffer, said Saturday.

Racing is currently being conducted at Fairplex Park, which fills the gap between Del Mar, which closed on Sept. 9, and the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita, which opens Sept. 30. Rosario is not riding at Fairplex.

Rosario was aboard Cedros in the 11th race on Sept. 6, a maiden race at 1 1/16 miles on turf. Cedros, a 4-1 shot in the field of 10, battled outside another rival for the early lead through the first half-mile of the race, then, according to the race's official chart, "fell back some leaving the second turn and angled in, continued along the rail in the stretch and was edged for the show." He finished a head behind the third-place finisher, Never.

Cedros is trained by John Glenney and is owned by Glenney and his wife, Kim.

According to Glenney, he complained to Del Mar's stewards about Rosario and Stauffer after Stauffer approached Glenney the morning after the race and asked if Cedros was for sale.

"I thought that was highly unusual," Glenney said in a telephone interview from Kentucky, where he returned after Del Mar's season ended. "I had asked Rosario to make sure he kept Cedros outside horses. It wasn't a good ride. And then to get the offer the next morning? I've never heard of something like that before. I asked the stewards to look into it. If they saw something, and decided to pursue it, so be it."

The complaint filed against Rosario cited him for violations of three racing board rules. One pertains to unsatisfactory rides - "no jockey shall take his horse back without reasonable cause ... or otherwise ride in a manner which is inconsistent with using the best efforts of the horse he is riding," the rule states in part - and another is titled "conduct detrimental to horse racing."

No charges have been filed against Stauffer. Mike Marten, the spokesman for the racing board, could not say if Stauffer was even being investigated. "The CHRB doesn't confirm or deny investigations of this sort," he said.

Stauffer on Saturday said, "Both Joel and I will not say anything until after the hearing."

In addition to being the leading rider at Del Mar this summer, Rosario topped the standings at the Hollywood Park meeting earlier this year.

Comments

• turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    i went to calracing.com and saw the replay......rosario gave that horse a super bad ride, shit he held the
    horse back the entrire race. please go and check it out for your- self.....
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    :shrr:just watched it wow that was very suspect the horse is on the front up to the half way point then allows 4 horses to pass him then he does absolutely nothing and the horse still finishes 4th beatin for third by a head very shady :shrr:once again a reason why hores racing gets a bad rap
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Keep this horse in mind for next time guys....that's all i'm saying
    edited December 2009
    from Bloodhorse:

A hearing into charges from the California Horse Racing Board that jockey Joel Rosario "did not put forward his best effort" in a race this summer at Del Mar is set to resume Dec. 3.

The much-delayed hearing into the complaint began Nov. 19 before a panel of stewards at Hollywood Park. It was adjourned to Dec. 3 after testimony was taken from only three witnesses. The CHRB complaint stems from Rosario's ride aboard the maiden Cedros, who is trained and co-owned by John Glenney. Cedros finished fourth in the 11th race at Del Mar Sept. 6.

"I can tell you that the hearing is to reconvene tomorrow morning at 9 a.m., but, unfortunately, I cannot tell you if it will conclude tomorrow," said Hollywood Park steward Randy Winick, who is hearing the case along with Los Alamitos Race Course stewards Albert Christiansen and Kim Sawyer. "The first day ran long due to testimony that included quite a bit of review of film and so forth, and I would expect that we will have more of the same."

At the initial hearing, which lasted nearly two hours, former jockey Luis Jauregui, now a local safety steward, testified on behalf of the CHRB. Former jockey Gary Stevens, now a trainer, and Darrell Haire, Jockeys' Guild Western regional manager, spoke on behalf of Rosario, a 24-year-old native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Rosario won the jockey title this summer at Del Mar.

Glenney, who owns Cedros with his wife, Kim, was initially upset with Rosario because he felt the jockey had allowed Cedros to drop back on the final turn and disregarded his instructions to keep the horse clear of traffic on the outside during the 1 1/16-mile turf race.

According to the official Equibase chart of the race, Cedros "fell back some leaving the second turn and angled in, continued along the rail in the stretch and was edged for the show." Cedros would miss the show spot by a head.

Glenney said he took the matter to Del Mar steward Ingrid Fermin after a phone conversation with Vic Stauffer, Rosario's agent, the following day. Stauffer, he said, inquired about whether the horse was for sale.

In its complaint filed more than 2 1/2 months ago, the CHRB alleged three violations of state rules. One of the rules states in part, "No jockey shall take his horse back without reasonable cause ... or otherwise ride in a manner which is inconsistent with using the best efforts of the horse he is riding."
    edited December 2009
    from Daily Racing Form:

Leading jockey Joel Rosario has been cleared of charges that he failed to put forth his best effort in a turf race at Del Mar in September.

In a ruling issued Sunday, stewards Albert Christiansen, Kim Sawyer, and Randy Winick ruled unanimously that there was "insufficient evidence" to prove that Rosario failed to put forth his best effort on Cedros in the 11th race over a mile for maidens on Sept. 6.

Cedros, the 4-1 third choice, dueled for the lead for the first half-mile of the race, dropped back to fifth on the turn, and finished fourth, 3 1/2 lengths behind race winner Sterkel.

The California Horse Racing Board filed the complaint, which led to three days of testimony in November and earlier this month. The final day of testimony, and closing arguments, were conducted Friday. During closing arguments, Rosario's attorney, Roger Licht, said the racing board's case was "spurious" and described their investigation as "flimsy and inadequate."

Kenneth Jones, a deputy attorney general representing the racing board, focused part of his closing argument on Rosario's lack of a use of a whip in the stretch.

Cedros, trained by John Glenney, is winless in seven starts.

Rosario, 24, is the leading rider at the current Hollywood Park fall meeting and won riding titles earlier this year at the Hollywood Park spring-summer and Del Mar meetings.