D'Funnybone to the BC Juvenile, via the Champagne

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

ELMONT, N.Y. - While owner Paul Pompa Jr. said his ultimate goal with D' Funnybone is to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, the horse came out of his dominant victory in Saturday's Grade 2 Futurity at Belmont Park so well that he could run back in the Grade 1 Champagne here Oct. 11.

"He came out so fresh that the Champagne is definitely an option," Pompa said by phone Monday from his Truck-Rite office in Brooklyn. "Our ultimate goal is to win the Breeders' Cup, but he's so fresh and so lightly raced, if we want to get to the Champagne, he's in the right kind of shape for it."

D' Funnybone, trained by Richard Dutrow Jr., cruised to a 4 3/4-length victory over Discreetly Mine in the $250,000 Futurity, running seven furlongs under Edgar Prado in 1:22.40 and earning a 93 Beyer Speed Figure. He added the Futurity to his 10 1/4-length victory in the Grade 2 Saratoga Special last month at Saratoga.

Pompa said he doesn't feel that running in the Champagne would inhibit D' Funnybone from running back in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, which will be run over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface on Nov. 7.

"We do have the option to go to both of them, if he comes out of the Champagne the right way," Pompa said. "He really didn't have to exert himself [in the Futurity]. I don't think we've gotten to the bottom of this horse yet. Edgar just waved the whip at him, I don't think he hit him once. That's very, very encouraging. It's a good position to be in."

Pompa also is in a good position. For if he elects not to run D' Funnybone in the Champagne, he could run Condemned, a 2-year-old son of Speightstown who won a 5 1/2-furlong maiden race by 4 3/4 lengths Saturday, while earning an 82 Beyer. Condemned, trained by Todd Pletcher, will be nominated to the Champagne, Pompa said.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Interesting note on Condemned...i didn't realize the same guy owned both of them.