Novice horse racing better with a question

slydiddyslydiddy Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Hi to everyone in the forum.
I've decided to give betting on horse a try to see if i'm any good at it.

So, today i chose the Thistledown track race 1 and 2. I chose the TrackMaster FlashNet PPform from equibase because the DRF form is a bit complicated for me.

In the first race, I bet $2 show on horse #3 and that horse won the race. I won $2.10

In the second race, I bet $2 show on horse #4 and that horse came in third . I only won $2.60.

Is it worth it to bet show on horse raceing? Also, what are the odds on place and show bets? Also, i saw in the results that some of the superfecta $1 bets only paying $79.00 wtf?

Also, whats the difference between thorough breed and harness racing? is either one easier to bet on?

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    slydiddy wrote: »
    Is it worth it to bet show on horse raceing?

In a word, no.

As far as the odds on place and show bets, it depends on the odds of your horse, so it'll be different every time. It also depends on the odds of the other horse (or horses) that run in with you.

I can't comment on thoroughbred vs. harness because i don't bet harness racing. I will say however that you'll have a lot more information available when dealing with thoroughbreds.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    it is okay to bet a couple bucks when you have a horse that 1/9 and has the overwhelming majority of the show pool. i did this with pyro a couple of years ago when he ran dead last and the show payouts were all over 50 dollars.