Schedules and post-times for the Breeders Cup

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
(Edited Breeders' Cup press release)

The Breeders’ Cup announced Sept. 21 that an all Breeders’ Cup Pick 6 wager will be offered on both days of this year’s Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Nov. 6-7 at Santa Anita Park. Breeders' Cup also released the tentative race schedule for the two days.

The Breeders’ Cup, consisting of 14 races and purses totaling $25.5 million, will held at the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita for the second consecutive year. The Breeders’ Cup will also be televised live by ABC/ESPN with nine hours of live domestic coverage and in 130 foreign countries.

Wagering on the Breeders’ Cup races will also be conducted in more than 40 countries around the globe. (International post times for England, Ireland, France, South Africa, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand are attached).

The Friday program will consist of six Breeders’ Cup races, beginning with the $500,000 Breeders’ Cup Marathon, and will be followed by five consecutive Breeders’ Cup races for females, culminating with the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic (gr. I). The Marathon will begin the all Breeders’ Cup Pick 6. If no one hits the Pick-6, the pool will be carried over into the Saturday Breeders’ Cup Ultra Pick 6. The Pick 6 will be paid out Saturday, with no carryover. Friday’s nine race program will also include the grade II Las Palmas Handicap and two allowance races.

The Saturday card will feature eight Breeders’ Cup races, culminating with the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I). Saturday’s 10 race card will also include the grade II Oak Tree Derby and the Damascus Stakes.

"We believe that the schedule of six championships races on Friday and eight on Saturday will provide better balance to the program and greater betting opportunities for the fans," said Kenneth Kirchner, president of FalKirk International and wagering consultant to the Breeders’ Cup. "Fans should find the Pick 6 sequence on Friday and Saturday to be great bets and based on last year's $1 million Friday Pick 6 handle, we could enjoy a substantial carryover into Saturday."

Post times for this year’s Breeders’ Cup are below along with a tentative race order schedule. The official race order will be announced on Tuesday, Oct. 27.

2009 Breeders’ Cup World Championships

(Post time, purse, race; all times Pacific; race schedule subject to change)

Nov. 6 (Fri)

Post Time Race Distance

11:15 a.m $75,000 Allowance
11:49 a.m $75,000 Allowance
12:35 p.m $500,000 Breeders’ Cup Marathon 1 3/4 mi.
1:08 p.m. $1 mil. Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf 1 mi. (T)
1:45 p.m. $1 mil. Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup F & M Sprint (gr. I) 7 f.
2:23 p.m $2 mil. Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juv. Fillies (gr. I) 1 1/16 mi.
3:02 p.m. $2 mil. Emirates Air. Breeders’ Cup F & M Turf (gr. I) 1 1/4 mi. (T)
3:45 p.m $2 mil. Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic, (gr. I) 1 1/8 mi.
4:25 p.m. $200,000 Las Palmas Handicap, (gr. II) 1 mi. (turf)

Nov. 7 (Sat)

Post Time Race Distance

10:05 a.m. $125,000 Damascus Stakes 7 f.
10:45 a.m. $1 mil. Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (gr. II) 1 mi. (T)
11:23 a.m. $1 mil. Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint 6 1/2 f. (T)
12:10 p.m. $1 mil. Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) 1 mi.
12:49 p.m $2 mil. Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) 1 1/16 mi.
1:28 p.m. $2 mil. TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. I) 1 mi. (T)
2:12 p.m. $2 mil. Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) 6 f.
2:57 p.m. $3 mil. Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. I) 1 1/2 mi. (T)
3:45 p.m. $5 mil. Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) 1 1/4 mi.
4:25 p.m. $125,000 Oak Tree Derby (gr. II) 1 1/8 mi. (T)