Back after surgery.

laffingeyslaffingeys Senior Member
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Well - took an unexpected couple of weeks off there after an unplanned surgery ...
gave me time to watch a bit of racing though :)

I do like the "won't pay much - will win by lots" threads .. in that vein ... here are my picks for today ... I might play on the first one and roll over the winnings ... lets see if I can turn $2 into $30

Pinnacle - Race 3 - #6 - Frosty Debut
Thistle - Race 6 - #2 - Cookies Gold
Fairplex - Race 4 - #1 - Brilliant Response
Arlington - Race 8 - #8 - My New Lady
Zia - Race 9 - #1 - Spark Of Dubai

(Y)

It'll give me something to watch.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Welcome back, Laffy. Hope everything is alright...
  • laffingeyslaffingeys Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    Welcome back, Laffy. Hope everything is alright...

It is now .... or at least its better than it was ;)
    Thanks for asking.

Looks like I still can't pick an odds-on winner to save my life though ...

First one lost - I doubled up and had $4 to win on the second ... now got $6 going on to race three ...
    lets see if we can get winners in races 3, 4 and 5 ...

:laugh:
  • laffingeyslaffingeys Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    laffingeys wrote: »
    Fairplex - Race 4 - #1 - Brilliant Response

Ouch 1/9 and beaten - have been using the "conditional wager" button this past few days to get rid of the silly prices on some of these horses .... has saved me a few times so far ...

... anyone else use a "conditional wager" type setup?

I've noticed that the odds on most favorites do drift out slightly right at the 0 MTP check - then come in again by a couple of points by the time they actually start the race ...

Have had to set odds of around 3/2 to try and get nothing less than evens ... its a step in the right direction by some of the advanced wager setups - but I still find myself putting the majority of my money on horses running in the UK .. because i can set my risk and odds at the time i place my wager.

I am beginning to understand why finding the horse to beat the favorite is the best strategy here in the US. Assuming the favorites are over-bet (they are in a large number of races it seems) the value really does seem to lie in the second or third in the betting running against the over-bet long odds-on favorite that in reality only has a 50-50 chance of winning the race.

Have managed to spend time watching the odds/results more closely this past couple of weeks and think i'm starting to see the light ;)
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    yes, welcome back....and a couple of weeks away can only help!!!
    it's all about getting ready for the breeders cup!!!!!