D'Funnybone appears headed for BC Juvenile, regardless of Champagne plans

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
(NYRA release)

Trainer Rick Dutrow Jr., reported on several of his top horses Sept. 25 from Aqueduct, including Paul Pompa Jr.’s Futurity (gr. II) winner D' Funnybone, whose next start is still up in the air.

“We’re happy with the way he’s going,” Dutrow said of the 2-year-old son of D'wildcat . “We’ll be keeping an eye on the Champagne (gr. I, Oct. 10 at Belmont Park) since it’s coming up first. He could run there, or train straight up to the Breeders’ Cup. We won’t change his training schedule either way. He’ll train right here at Aqueduct because this track is unbelievable. I’d hate to send him out there (to Santa Anita) ahead of time. We’d probably go at the last minute and run him.”

Back on the worktab for Dutrow this morning was Pompa’s This Ones For Phil, given time off after a fifth-place finish in the Woody Stephens (gr. II) on Belmont Stakes Day. The 3-year-old gelding covered three furlongs in :37.64, breezing, in his first timed work since June 1.

Dutrow said he was considering entering Lansdon Robbins III’s 2-year-old Fuzzy Britches in the $150,000 Miss Grillo (gr. IIIT) over Belmont’s grass course on Oct. 4 depending on how she responds to a turf work planned for Sept. 26.

“If she goes well, we’ll try her in the Miss Grillo,” Dutrow said of the filly, who is 1-1-0 from two starts on dirt including a second-place finish in the Sorority Stakes at Monmouth Park earlier this month.

Finally, Dutrow had only good things to say about 2008 juvenile filly champion Stardom Bound, who breezed three furlongs in :35.64 over the main track at Aqueduct Sept. 23. Read more about the latest on Stardom Bound here.

Also from Aqueduct, trainer Rick Violette reported that Worstcasescenario, beaten favorite in the Matron (gr. II) Sept. 19, is recuperating from a case of sore feet.

“Her feet are killing her,” said the trainer. “She’s got big, flat feet, and generally we shoe the day of (the race) and obviously that wasn’t the thing to do. She’s gone to the track the past couple of days, and we’re going to put glue-ons on her.”

Looking ahead, Violette said there were a number of options for her next start.

“We’re looking at anything from the Frizette (gr. I, Oct. 10 at Belmont) to the Darley Alcibiades (gr. I, Oct. 9 at Keeneland) to waiting for the Demoiselle (gr. II, Nov. 28 at Aqueduct],” he said.

Edward P. Evans’ Quality Road and Mrs. John Magnier’s Munnings will likely have their final serious moves Sept. 26 for the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) and Vosburgh (gr. I), respectively, trainer Todd Pletcher reported.

“With the possibility of unsettled weather Sunday morning, we’ll probably go tomorrow,” said Pletcher.

Quality Road, third as the favorite to Summer Bird in the Shadwell Travers (gr. I) after his record-setting performance in the Amsterdam (gr. II), will be facing older horses for the first time on Oct. 3 in the 1 1/4-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup. Munnings, third in the NetJets King’s Bishop (gr. I) in his most recent start, defeated older horses when he won the Tom Fool (gr. II) at Belmont on July 5.

Pletcher is also priming the Saratoga-based Interactif for action in the Pilgrim (gr. IIIT) on the grass, and is considering the Beldame (gr. I), also Oct. 3, for Team Valor International’s duo of Captain's Lover and Unbridled Belle.

“Every one of them is doing well,” said Pletcher.

Godolphin Stables’ Music Note and Cocoa Beach could both run in the Beldame, said Rick Mettee, assistant to head trainer Saeed bin Suroor.

“They’ll both work this weekend,” said Mettee. “Obviously, Cocoa Beach won this race last year, but Music Note runs well on this track as well. In an ideal world, we’d not run them against each other but it’s tough to keep them apart.”

Mettee added that Girolamo, a good-looking 5 1/2-length winner of an optional claimer at a mile Sept. 13, is the most likely of the Godolphin 3-year-olds to start in the Jerome (gr. II) at a mile on Oct. 11.

“It would be a little quick back for Regal Ransom and Midshipman, but it is a possibility for Vineyard Haven,” he said.