Rip Van Winkle takes the Queen Elizabeth; now bound for the BC Classic

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

His name is linked to stories of make believe, and Rip Van Winkle again showed he is something dreams are made of when coming off a blistering pace to take the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot.

Although just four runners assembled for what was seen as a showdown between the superpowers of Coolmore and Godolphin, the field brimmed with quality thanks to the presence of Delegator, Aqlaam and Zacinto.

But it was the odds-on Rip Van Winkle who stole the show by following up his Sussex Stakes win with a granite performance in the Sony-sponsored Group One.

Aqlaam surprisingly took control in the early stages with Rip Van Winkle in close attendance, but William Haggas' runner paid the price and dropped away tamely in the final two furlongs.

Rip Van Winkle was sent forcefully into the lead soon after turning for home, and the race was his to lose.

Godolphin's 2000 Guineas runner-up Delegator flattered to deceive and had nothing more to offer through the final furlong, leaving surprise package Zacinto to pose the major threat.

Sir Michael Stoute's outsider loomed large in the 8-13 favourite's shadow, but his presence only willed Rip Van Winkle on and he stretched away to score by a length and a quarter.

Aidan O'Brien's colt was hyped to the max in the early season, and is finally living up to his reputation after his Guineas and Derby fourths.

O'Brien, winning his second QEII, said: "I have never seen a horse who can run through the pain barrier like he can.

"He is one of those special ones, and I am pleased he is now showing on the track what he is capable of.

"He got an infection in all four of his heels in the spring, and it spread to all of his feet.

"Our men at home have all done a marvellous job to get him here and to keep him right.

"He had a very interrupted preparation after Goodwood. He was very sore and lame after Goodwood, but the last two weeks he has had a good run.

"Johnny gave him a marvellous ride and he is an unbelievable horse.

"We didn't use a pacemaker as we would have had to have a Group One sprinter to lead him, and we didn't have one of those.

"His class is the main thing, and class is all about speed and cruising. It is the early speed he has to cruise, and he is then courageous at the end of a race."

Raven's Pass moved on from QEII victory last season to claim the Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita, and Rip Van Winkle is set to follow the same path.

Coral trimmed the three-year-old into 5-2 from 4s for the November 7 event, and O'Brien added: "The Breeders' Cup Classic will be next and we really look forward to that as he is a horse who cruises and stays.

"Mastercraftsman is possible for the Classic too, but that will be up the lads (at Coolmore)."

Murtagh added: "I was sitting at home last night and was wondering if the call was going to come through again as he always seems to do something close to track day, but thankfully the last two weeks have gone well.

"I felt Zacinto coming to me, but I got him organised again and when he went to the front I think he kind of pricked his ears.

"It was a long way up the straight today as we went hard all of the way. Aidan said to organise him three furlongs out, and stretch him at the two pole as he stays this trip well.

"He put them to the sword and I think he came out on top in a very good race."

Zacinto had been behind Delegator at Goodwood last month but turned the placings around in comprehensive fashion.

Teddy Grimthorpe, representing Zacinto's owner Khalid Abdullah, said: "At one stage we got upsides the winner, and one thing is for sure - we have earned a bit of respect today.

"There are a couple of options, including the Champion Stakes and one of the mile races at the Breeders' Cup.

"But our immediate thought after this is to go to Newmarket (Champion Stakes)."

Delegator was over three lengths further back in fourth, and Godolphin racing manager, Simon Crisford, said: "He fell a bit short today, but we were beaten by two better horses on the day.

"My feeling is we will still go for the Breeders' Cup Mile with him, he will be running against those good horses and we know there will be no hiding place in California."

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Some updated Euro odds for you, as reported in the Racing Post:

RIP VAN WINKLE has been cut to 9-4 joint-favourite with Bet365 for the Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita in November after his battling win in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot on Saturday.

The Aidan O'Brien-trained three-year-old had been a 4-1 shot with Stan James before the race but now shares favouritism with Sea The Stars.

William Hill and Victor Chandler, meanwhile, make Rip Van Winkle a 7-2 chance (from 4) for the Classic after his win in Saturday's Sony-sponsored contest.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    will have him in my pick 6......the trainer said" it would take a top level sprinter to be his rabbit"
    now thats says all i need to here!!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Everyone with a horse in the Breeders Cup Classic had better be hoping for dry weather in Paris next weekend. If Sea The Stars passes on the Arc due to ground conditions, the Classic would seem to be the logical alternative. Possible he could run in both, but i would tend to doubt it.