Kieren Fallon (aboard 2-time runner-up Youmzain) insists Sea The Stars no lock

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting LIfe:

Kieren Fallon says Sea The Stars is no certainty to win Sunday's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp.

John Oxx's wonder colt heads for Longchamp as a genuine superstar courtesy of a brilliant unbeaten three-year-old campaign featuring wins in the 2000 Guineas, Epsom Derby, Eclipse, Juddmonte International and Irish Champion Stakes.

But Fallon believes being on the go for all of those major tests could leave Sea The Stars vulnerable in Paris on Sunday afternoon.

Writing in his Racing Post Weekender column, Fallon said: "Watching the TV and reading the papers you would think Sea The Stars only has to turn up to win, but I don't see it that way."

Fallon uses the Arc defeats suffered by the likes of Generous, Troy and Reference Point to illustrate his point. They all went to Europe's biggest race as hot favourites and flopped.

On the other hand though, the Irishman says another Oxx inmate - 2000 Derby winner Sinndar - had the perfect build-up.

Fallon explained: "His preparation had been entirely different to this year's champion. The point is, Sea The Stars hasn't missed a dance this season and this is usually won by a horse trained specifically for it.

"I'm not saying Sea The Stars can't win, but he is not the good thing the media and bookies believe."

Fallon will partner Mick Channon's Youmzain - twice an Arc runner-up - on Sunday and is sweet on his chances.

"I think Youmzain is at his absolute peak and, with blinkers on, I will be very disappointed if he isn't at least in the first three."

If that assessment isn't bullish enough, Fallon can even see his mount finally winning the big one.

He said: "If Youmzain gets a gap at the right time, I can see us skipping clear and Mick Channon's star losing his bridesmaid's tag in style."