Connections remain non-committal on a Sea The Stars Breeders Cup run

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

John Oxx refused to be drawn on whether Sea The Stars will run at next month's Breeders' Cup.

The wonder horse produced a sensational display to win Sunday's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp - his sixth Group One victory in as many months.

Now a tilt at the Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita next month could be on the agenda, but Oxx says no decision will be made yet.

He said: "I suppose you are going to ask me about the Breeders' Cup, but that is November 7 and I am not sure how we would all feel about that.

"We will let the dust settle, and now is not the time to make a decision. We will see how the horse is and make a decision. To have got as far as the Arc is a lot to be thankful for. I can't see him staying in training next year, but we haven't discussed it."

Jockey Mick Kinane dropped the biggest hint yet that California will be one step too many..

He added: "His coat has gone and he has got hairy. He got warm today as he is getting his winter rug on. I don't know what John and the owners have in mind, but what he has achieved now is phenomenal.

"Does he need to achieve any more? I don't know."

Owner Christopher Tsui said: "Whether he goes to the Breeders' Cup is a big question, and we will have to have a long chat with John about it. I am not ruling anything out for now."

Sky Bet make Sea The Stars an 8/13 chance to win in America (from 2/1) and spokesman Matt Doyle said: "Sea The Stars has beaten the best Europe has to offer and now the Yanks will get the chance to marvel at the brilliance of this once in a lifetime horse."